From then to now: what I have learned

Corryn Brock, Editor-in-Chief

I started working at The Daily Eastern News in Fall 2018 during my freshman year. I published my very first story for The News in the first regular paper of the year.

But my love for this paper started in 2015 when I visited Eastern for the first time and met Analicia Haynes, a woman who became my first editor at The News and one of my best friends.

That first visit I soaked up everything she told me and completely admired her and everything she was doing, who knew six years down the road I would be doing the same thing?

Anali introduced me to other strong women in leadership roles in the newsroom like Cassie Buchman and Carole Hodorowicz and later I was fortunate enough to meet Kalyn Hayslett. All of these women inspired me to work hard at the paper and strive to the position I now find myself in.

They have all heard about or witnessed my highs and lows and have cheered me on the whole way through. I would not be here without their unconditional support and kindness.

However, they weren’t the only ones I found support in. I have also been surrounded by the incredible journalism staff who has always made time to listen to my ideas and give me advice.

Now as I look back on everything that has led to this point I cannot help but be so proud and honored of where I am. The past three years as an editor have been crazy.

I have worked for this paper through a global pandemic, an election that was full of surprises and a time period that does not look kindly on the profession I love.

It’s been a crazy ride.

Now I will be taking on a new position, one that I have been working for the past three years and I am terrified and excited all at once.

But luckily I have a list of people who have gotten me here and who will support me in this new role and I want to thank them all for what they have done (and I apologize in advance for the long paragraph.)

Thank you Anali, Cassie, Carole, Kalyn, J.J., Adam, Lola, Sally, Betsy, Tom, Poulter, Hannah and Luke.

I hope this year I can make you proud (or at least not disappointed) and make this another strong year of student journalism at Eastern.

To my staff, thank you for everything you have done to prepare for this year. I am already so proud of you and ready to see what you do in your roles.

Corryn Brock is a senior journalism major. They can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].