Board of Trustees to vote on hiring process for new UPD chief

Corryn Brock, Staff Writer

University Police Department Chief Kent Martin will be stepping down from his position in September after serving as chief since Sept. 1, 2016. The Board of Trustees will meet Thursday to address his retirement and vote on using an agency to conduct an external search to fill the position.

The meeting will be streamed at https://www.eiu.edu/trustees/online-meeting.php at 1 p.m. Those who would like to participate in public comment should contact Audrey Edwards at [email protected] prior to the meeting with their name and the subject of their comments.

The sole action item for the meeting states the cost of the search for a new chief is not to exceed $40,000. The agency the university will use if the item is approved is D. Stafford and Associates.

The Illinois Public Higher Education Cooperative was also considered as a possible consulting firm for the search but according to the meeting item D. Stafford and Associates gave a lower budgetary estimate to the university.

According to the rationale for the item, “An external search firm can provide significant assistance in this process by developing and enhancing the quality of the candidate pool, recruiting and screening potential candidates, and coordinating the search process quickly. Pursuant to 110 ILCS 665/10-17, the Board of Trustees and President hereby demonstrate a justifiable need to utilize the services of D. Stafford and Associates.”

According to the agenda, the board will go into executive session following the action item if they vote to do so.

According to a press release announcing Martin’s appointment, former Vice President of Student Affairs Lynette Drake said Martin was well respected among his peers.

“Chief Martin’s knowledge of and commitment to the university is commendable.  He is well respected within the local law enforcement community and has worked collaboratively through Eastern’s police department with the city, county and state,” Drake said.  “I applaud his vision to enhance UPD’s communication, visibility and interactions with campus constituents and community partners.”

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].