Email details credit/no-credit option

Corryn Brock, News Editor

Eastern has announced credit/ no credit options for the Spring 2021 semester in an email from Vice President of Academic Affairs Jay Gatrell Monday morning.

The option is available to undergraduate students.

The online petition request will be available on the Office of the Registrar’s section of Eastern’s website from 8 a.m. May 12 to 5 p.m. May 21. Students can only apply for those options during those times.

Students may change the grade type in for up to two classes this semester from the standard letter grade type to a credit/ no credit grade type. Grades that would typically be an “A,” “B” or “C” would be changed to a credit grade while grades that would normally be a “D” or “F” would be changed to a no credit grade if a student chose to use the change.

Those who wish to use the credit / no credit option should consult with their academic advisor prior to making a decision on what grade type they should use for the semester.

Consultations with advisors should include information on the possible impacts of using the credit / no credit option, including the impact if can have of financial aid eligibility.

Credit / no credit options during the COVID-19 pandemic are exceptions to the Undergraduate Catalog and can be applied to meet overall degree, major, and general education requirements.

Gatrell along with Registrar Brad Bennington will be reviewing the official Spring 2021 academic standing to minimize the impact of the COVID-19 on students’ grades.

The option was approved by the Council on Academic Affairs on April 22 with three members of the council voting against it, Marita Gronnvoll, Rick Wilkinson and Abidalrahman Moh’d.

Gronnvoll explained why she did not support the proposal, saying, “I am absolutely in favor of working with students who have extraordinary circumstances, but I think to throw this out as a solution for all students is just misguided.”

Billy Hung was one of the members of the council who voted in favor of the proposal.

“We should recognize the unusual circumstances that we are in, and if the students feel like this is a usual step to help them navigate through the semester, then I am in support of it,” Hung said.

The proposal was brought to the council by the editorial board of The Daily Eastern News.

The reason for the proposal was because editors on the board had heard concerns from students about failing classes due to stress from the lack of a Spring Break and the continuation of problems from the COVID-19 pandemic.

The proposal stated:

“…the pandemic is not over. Throughout this semester students and their families have continued to fall ill and experience all of the struggles that COVID-19 has put on people’s lives. Quarantine has left some students out of two weeks of their paychecks, depressed and unable to find the drive to continue to work in a semester that has been nonstop.

While Wellness Days have been greatly appreciated and a beneficial way to discourage Spring Break parties and irresponsible activities, they do not provide the same relief. Students and instructors alike need a break from the constant work college demands to focus on themselves and recuperate to continue to finish the semester strong.

Despite the pandemic being an aspect of our lives for the past year, so many people have not gotten used to the strain it has left on everyone and we all need as much help as we can get to succeed.”

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or at cebrock@eiu.