Charleston City Council to vote on budget Tuesday

Corryn Brock, News Editor

The Charleston City Council will vote on the budget for Fiscal Year 2021/2022 during its meeting Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.

The budget sets aside money for things like public services, salaries of public servants and items within the various city-run departments. It has been on file for inspection since March 17 at Carnegie Library, City Hall and online.

The council will also vote on amending the current budget to reflect the difference from what the city planned for and what happened throughout the year. Changes can be seen in the general fund, motor fuel tax fund, tax increment financing fund and water and sewer fund.

Additionally, changes to water and sewer rates as well as ambulance rates will be voted on during the meeting. Both will see an increase.

Currently the rates for water and sewer service within corporate limits are $15.94 per 1,000 gallons for the first 10,000 gallons and $15.34 per 1,000 gallons for anything over 10,000 gallons.

The rate for Eastern is $15.34 per 1,000 gallons.

The rates for the use of water services only within corporate limits are $14.49 per 1,000 gallons for the first 10,000 gallons and $13.93 per 1,000 gallons for anything over 10,000 gallons.

The ordinance proposes an increase in the rates.

If approved, rates for water and sewer service within corporate limits will be $16.42 per 1,000 gallons for the first 10,000 gallons and $15.76 per 1,000 gallons for anything over 10,000 gallons.

The rate for Eastern will be $15.76 per 1,000 gallons.

The rates for the use of water services only within corporate limits will be $14.78 per 1,000 gallons for the first 10,000 gallons and $14.12 per 1,000 gallons for anything over 10,000 gallons.

Calls for basic life-support for all residents of the city, including full time Eastern students will increase from $484 to $500, advanced life support will increase from $760 to $783 and advance life support II will increase from $910 to $938.

Calls for basic life-support for all non-residents residents of the city will increase from $685 to $70, advanced life support will increase from $1,085 to $1.117 and advance life support II will increase from $1,300 to $1,340. 

All will be charged $15 per loaded mile compared to the current $14.

A change in language is another part of the ambulance rate amendment. Currently, ambulance fees are evaluated annually and adjusted if deemed necessary; if approved, ambulance fees will automatically increase by three percent and rounded to the nearest dollar annually on May 1.

Four resolutions as the city to provide sensible rehabilitation with tax increment financing.

Mike and Stand’s 504 is requesting no more than $10,000, Z’s Music and Sound is asking for no more than $10,000, Geisler and Weaver is asking for no more than $9,211 and Hortenstine Properties is asking for no more than $3,675.

The council will vote on waiving bidding procedures on two 2021 Ford Ranger pick-up trucks for the Code Enforcement department. The purchase is not to exceed $56,234. 

The city will purchase the vehicles from Pilson Auto Center if approved by the council.

The council is also voting on amending city traffic code on crosswalks and highway solicitation. Specifically, the council will vote on repealing and replacing 6-1-9 of the city code with the following language:

“Section 6-1-9: Impeding Pedestrian or Vehicular Traffic: No person shall completely or substantially impede the flow of pedestrian or vehicular traffic in, on, or around any sidewalk or public property, way, or place. No person shall have the exclusive right to any sidewalk or public property, way, or place, nor the right to establish a stationary location therein.”

Included in the ordinance the council will also vote on replacing 6-1-3(D) with “Pedestrian crossings at other than designated and marked crosswalks or at intersections are prohibited.”

The addition of parking with a time limit of 15 minutes will also be voted on. The parking would be at Tender Touch Grooming at 221 6th Street and at Grand Ball Costume at 609 6th Street.

The council will also vote on Mayor Brandon Comb’s reappointment of Heather Kuykendall two-year term on the Police Pension Fund Board and Mike Monahan to a three-year term on the Charleston Carnegie Public Library Board of Trustees.

A temporary street closure will be voted on for the Charleston High School Senior Graduation Parade.

Three proclamations will be made, one naming the month of May Mental Health Awareness Month, one naming May Motorcycle Awareness Month and another naming May 2 through May 8 Professional Municipal Clerks Week.

The continuation of the local state of emergency will also be voted on.

Following the action items, time is reserved for members of the public to address the council. No action will be taken on matters not listed on the agenda, and the Council is not required to take any further action or to discuss the matter further. Public comment can be made or submitted remotely via email to [email protected]. Those interested in submitting public comment should send emails prior to 5:00 p.m. Tuesday and indicate in the subject line: CC: 04/20/2021, so the city clerk knows the email is public comment for the meeting.

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].