Panther Service Day held Saturday

Luke Taylor, Associate News Editor

The Office of Civic Engagement and Volunteerism held Panther Service Day on Saturday with around 40 students in attendance.   

Typically, Panther Service Day includes a wide range of options for students to volunteer at various nonprofits around the community.   

This year, safety from COVID-19 became a priority, so CEVO had students stay on campus to help prevent spreading the virus.   

As usual, students were required to wear their masks and social distance. The event was also held outside in the Library Quad to be even safer.

The on-campus volunteerism project this year making fleece blankets for One Stop Community Christmas, a local Toys for Tots organization.

During the year, One Stop Community Christmas collects blankets, toys, food and cleaning supplies, as well as other household necessities and Christmas gifts.

Once Christmas rolls around, the organization distributes the supplies to families in need in Coles, Clark, Cumberland, Edgar, Shelby, Moultrie and Douglas counties.

On Saturday, the student volunteers made just over 100 fleece blankets to donate to the organization.   

Beth Gillespie, the director of the Office of Civic Engagement and Volunteerism, said that she was very happy with how the day went.   

“We were thrilled to have the support of the women’s soccer team and everyone else who came out,” Gillespie said. “We were worried that the weather might not cooperate, but the rain held off and we had a good turnout.”

CEVO will have more volunteer opportunities before the end of the school year, including this month’s nonprofit drive for Sexual Assault Counseling and Information Services. 

For that drive, CEVO is asking that people donate supplies that will be useful to that organization.

Luke Taylor can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].