Student Senate to vote on resolution supporting students, opposing AAPI hate

Theo Edwards, Student Government Reporter

The Student Senate will be having two more meetings for the rest of the semester. Wednesday over Zoom and April 21, planned to be in person at the Grand Ballroom in the MLK Union.

The senate is expected to vote on a resolution during its Wednesday meeting reiterating Eastern’s stance against racism towards Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.

The resolution reads:

“Whereas, The Eastern Illinois University remains committed to a welcoming and inclusive campus community that recognizes and elaborates its diversity.

Whereas, The Eastern Illinois University community stands in solidarity against Asian Hate in response to the ongoing violence and hate targeted against members of the AAPI community.

Whereas, Eastern Illinois University condemns any acts of expressions of hate and violence that threatens the personal safety and welfare of members of the AAPI community and all EIU faculty, staff and students.

Whereas, Eastern Illinois University has a duty to confront and speak out against all forms of racial, violence and discrimination.

Whereas, Eastern Illinois University recognizes and celebrates the rich history, culture contributions of those members of the Asian American & Pacific Islander communities.

Be it resolved, Eastern Illinois University & the EIU Student Government condemns any and all forms of discrimination, hate and violence against members of the AAPI communities and members of the EIU community.”

With two meetings left, campaigning for those running as Student Senate candidates will begin this week and voting  results given Apr. 21.

Theo Edwards can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].