CEVO to accept donations for SACIS

Luke Taylor, Associate News Editor

This month’s monthly nonprofit drive from Eastern’s Civic Engagement and Volunteerism will benefit Sexual Assault Counseling and Information Services.

SACIS, which was founded in 1977 by faculty members from Eastern, has the mission of “changing attitudes that foster violence against others,” according to their website.

“Services are available regardless of age, gender, race, disability, spiritual preference, ethnicity, or sexual orientation,” the mission statement continues. “Our purpose is to provide counseling, advocacy and support for all victims of sexual assault and their significant others.”

The organization provides education about sexual assault and support for victims through their day-to-day work, as well as a handful of bigger events which often connect with Eastern’s campus.

These events include the Vagina Monologues, Walk a Mile in Their Shoes, Take Back the Night, and Take Back the Day.

Information and schedules for these events are available on the SACIS website.

CEVO plans to collect items which can help SACIS with their ongoing services. Specifically, CEVO is looking for donations of things like toiletries, feminine products, sheets and blankets, flip flops, bill organizers and kid toys.

The items will be collected in CEVO’s office in the Martin Luther King Jr. Union between April 12 and April 23.

Currently, SACIS is hosting a virtual Walk a Mile in Their shoes in which participants are encouraged to walk a mile as a sign of support for those who are impacted by sexual violence.

The event is open to all genders, ages and abilities.

The virtual event is happening until April 30.

Each Eastern student who donates to the drive will be entered into a drawing to win extra dining dollars.

CEVO started the monthly donation drives earlier this year, finding a different nonprofit to donate to each month.

In February, the organization donated to the Coles County Animal Shelter by collecting cat litter, pet food, and cleaning supplies to help the shelter employees provide for animals in their care.

In March, the drive benefited the Children’s Advocacy Center of East Central Illinois.

That time, CEVO collected bath towels, bedding, toiletries and gift cards.

Luke Taylor can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].