Eastern students celebrate Easter, share thoughts

Luke Taylor, Associate News Editor

Students at Eastern all found different ways to enjoy Easter Sunday, even if they weren’t celebrating for religious reasons. 

Many students spent the weekend at home to fulfill their families’ yearly traditions. 

Emilie Bowman, a sophomore English education major, said that 15 of her family members got together, a smaller group than usual due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“The kids all played football in the front yard because of the nice weather,” Bowman said.

Like many Americans, Bowman celebrates the Christian holiday even though she isn’t religious. 

“The holiday has really strayed away from the religious purpose,” Bowman said. “Chocolate bunnies have nothing to do with Jesus dying or whatever.”

Madelyn Powers, a sophomore English major, chose not to go home for Easter this year, but she talked about some of her family’s yearly traditions. 

“My parents always make sauerkraut and Polish sausage,” Powers said. “We dye Easter eggs and hide eggs for the little kids to find.”

A lot of students decided to stay on campus over Easter, finding ways to celebrate on their own or just enjoy the weekend and spring weather. 

Some Resident Assistants made the weekend festive for the residents who stayed on their floors by decorating for the holiday or even holding floor-wide Easter egg hunts. 

Eastern had an egg hunt for all students on April 1, before most students left for the weekend. 

Sam Hennegan, a junior English major, said that she celebrated a few days early with a basket of candy from her grandma. 

However, she said that she doesn’t really care for Easter as a holiday.

“My opinions are that it’s kind of overrated,” Hennegan said. “I’m no longer Christian, but when I was, I always kind of thought there were more important things to do than spend an entire day talking about Jesus rising.”

While many people, whether Christian or not, enjoy Easter for various reasons, it can be a strange day for people who were raised in Christian families but later distanced themselves from that religion. 

Grace Osborn, a senior biology major, said that her past experiences really affect how she views Easter today. 

“I spent today gaming and pondering religion,” Osborn said. “I’m having super mixed feelings about it. Because of my identity and my past I have some trauma that’s rooted in religion.”

Luke Taylor can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].