Panthers lose 5th-straight match Tuesday

Adam Tumino, Editor-in-Chief

With a 2-0 home loss to Eastern Kentucky Tuesday afternoon, the Eastern women’s soccer team saw its losing streak extended to five matches.

All five of those losses have been shutouts. The Panthers are now 1-6 on the season and in last place in the OVC standings.

Eastern Kentucky improved to 2-4 with the win.

The two teams were evenly matched throughout, both recording eight shots in the match. Two of Eastern’s shots were on goal, both saved by the Colonel’s senior goalkeeper Billie Clark. Five of Eastern Kentucky’s shots were on goal.

For the Panthers, redshirt-sophomore goalkeeper Faith Davies was seeing action for the first time at the collegiate level. She made 3 saves in addition to the pair of goals allowed.

The Colonels jumped out to an early lead when sophomore midfielder Michaela Iacono scored in the seventh minute on an assist from sophomore forward Audrey Anderson. It was Iacono’s second goal of the season and Anderson’s second assist.

Davies would save the next two shots on goal from the Colonels and the match reached halftime with a 1-0 score.

Despite being held scoreless in the first half, Eastern was on the attack early. Both of the Panthers’ shots on goal in the match were recorded in the first 22 minutes. Freshman forward Karima Rangel had one in the 10th minute and sophomore forward Michaela Dayno added one in the 21st minute.

Eastern had multiple chances to tie the score in the final two minutes of the half, but senior forward Haylee Renick missed wide left on a shot in the 43rd minute and sophomore midfielder Kenzie Balcerak missed wide right just over a minute later.

Eastern also had several scoring chances early in the second half, getting off three shots in a little over a minute.

Dayno attempted a shot in the 49th minute the missed wide ride. Sophomore midfielder Nicoletta Anuci recorded her first shot in the 50th minute and Dayno had another shot just seven seconds after Anuci’s, but neither could find the net.

There would be no scoring until the 70th minute when Claire Hicks got one behind Davies for an insurance goal. It was the first career goal for the senior defender and it came on the first career assist for freshman midfielder Kylie Fitzgerald.

Rangel attempted another shot for Eastern four minutes later that missed high to the right. It was the last shot the Panthers had in the match.

Eastern has just three matches remaining this season and will be on the road for its next match on March 26 against Austin Peay. It is scheduled to start at 2 p.m.

Adam Tumino can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].