Softball team loses Sunday, wins weekend series

Adam Tumino, Editor-in-Chief

The Eastern softball team fell 8-6 to Austin Peay Sunday afternoon. But since the Panthers swept a doubleheader from the Governors the day prior, they won the weekend series.

It was the third-straight series win for the Panthers to begin OVC play and they are now tied for second place with a conference record of 7-2.

Austin Peay improved to 5-4 with the win and is in seventh place in the standings.

The Panthers were in control for much of the game Sunday, leading 5-0 after five innings before giving up 8 runs to Austin Peay in the top of the sixth.

Eastern added a run in the bottom of the inning but were retired in order in the seventh to end the game.

Eastern began the scoring in the bottom of the second on back-to-back RBI doubles from redshirt-freshman Amber Cieplinski and redshirt-freshman Abi Stahlhut.

The Panthers added another run in the third inning when redshirt-senior first baseman Haley Mitchell doubled home redshirt-sophomore outfielder Katie Nicholson.

After a scoreless fourth, Eastern scored twice more in the fifth on a single from redshirt-outfielder outfielder Morgan Lewis that drove in redshirt-junior shortstop Megan Burton and redshirt-freshman outfielder McKinlee Miller.

In the decisive top of the sixth, 13 batters came to the plate for the Governors.

They managed just 4 hits in the inning, but took advantage of two Eastern errors, two walks, a hit by pitch and a wild pitch to rally for the win.

Only four of the eight runs in the inning were earned runs for Austin Peay.

Redshirt-senior Jade Montgomery got the start on the mound in the game, pitching 5 innings while allowing 5 hits and 4 runs, three of which were earned.

Hannah Cravens also pitched briefly, facing two batters and allowing a hit and 2 unearned runs, before Olivia Price took over to get the final six outs of the game.

Price gave up 2 hits and 2 runs in 2 innings of work, with one of the runs being unearned.

Nicholson finished the day 2-of-3 with a walk and a run scored while Lewis was 2-of-4 with 2 RBI and a stolen base.

The Panthers will be on the road for the next series against Tennessee Tech with a doubleheader March 27 and a single game to close out the series on the next day.

Adam Tumino can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]