Women’s soccer team blown out by Cougars 7-0 Tuesday afternoon

Adam Tumino, Editor-in-Chief

The Eastern women’s soccer team surrendered the most goals in a match in program history in a 7-0 loss to Southern Illinois-Edwardsville Tuesday afternoon.

The Panthers were unable to keep their momentum going from their first win of the season, which they picked up March 5, and fell to 1-2 on the season with the loss. The Cougars are now 3-0.

In addition to being the biggest loss for Eastern as a program, the win for the Cougars was their largest ever against an OVC opponent.

Sophomore forward Lily Schnieders opened the scoring for the Cougars in the 14th minute, netting her first goal of the season. She was assisted by redshirt-sophomore forward MacKenzie Litzsinger, who then scored a goal of her own just over seven minutes later.

Just over six minutes later, Schnieders scored again to put the Cougars up 3-0, a lead they carried into halftime.

After being held scoreless for the first 21 minutes of the second half, the Cougar offense scored three goals in just over seven minutes, one coming from senior midfielder Ashlin West and two from sophomore forward/midfielder Sarah Hibbeler. Junior midfielder Kayla Klipsch ended the day’s scoring with a goal in the 82nd minute.

Southern Illinois-Edwardsville shot the ball 20 times in the match, 12 of which were on goal.

Eastern managed just 5 shots, two of which were on goal.

Senior forward Itxaso Aguero recorded on shot on goal, as did sophomore forward Zenaya Barnes.

Goalkeeper Daniela Bermeo managed to make five saves for Eastern, increasing her total to 17 on the season.

For the Cougars, Litzsinger had a goal and 2 assists and continues to lead the OVC in both categories. Litzsinger has 4 goals and 10 points this season.

Eastern plays its next match on the road March 12 against Tennessee Tech. The match is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m.

Adam Tumino can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].