Students share tips for being single this Valentine’s Day

Emilee Tosh, Campus Reporter

Valentine’s Day 2021 is quickly approaching, and many people are getting ready to spend the day with their significant others.

However, this day is also one that many people dislike, and some even dread.

No matter what one’s opinion of the holiday is, it’s never fun to spend such a day alone.

Whether you’re in a long-distance relationship or you’re single, there are plenty of ways to enjoy Valentine’s Day on your own.

Abby Devore, a freshman Psychology major, suggested taking a self-care day.

“Just take the day to relax, catch up on that TV show you’ve been missing, read your favorite book, anything that will make you feel better in general,” Devore said. 

The main point of taking a self-care day is to make yourself feel better, even if it’s just lounging around your room in your pajamas.

Self-care is important for mental and physical health, especially if you’re stressed due to work, school, or other factors.

Another way to have a productive Valentine’s Day is to get all the stuff you’ve been meaning to do out of the way.

For example, doing laundry, reorganizing, vacuuming or even getting started on a big homework project.

One way to think of this is as a gift to yourself for the holiday; you’re rewarding your future self with homework help or a nice, clean living space.

It may not be the most fun thing to do, but you’ll feel much better once it’s done. Plus, you can sit back and relax afterwards.

Even if you’re without a romantic partner for Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean you have to be alone.

Breonna Ritchey, a freshman early education major, explained what she’s doing this Valentine’s Day.

“Just talk to some of your friends and plan a day together to hang out, catch up, and just have fun,” Ritchey said. “Grab lunch, go to the mall, anything that you can think of that you guys can do together.”

As restaurants and movie theatres are slowly opening back up, there are so many opportunities to have fun with some of the people you love most. 

Madelyn Powers, a sophomore English major, suggested taking yourself on a date.

“Order some good food, like sushi, watch some shows, and eat so much that you have a food baby,” Powers said.

Most restaurants are also offering take-out options, opening up the opportunity for a delicious meal and movie night in the comfort of your favorite blanket.

Peter Martynowicz, a sophomore music production major, said he was a big fan of the blanket idea.

“Grab a nice blanket, throw it in the drier for a few minutes while you grab a snack,” Martynowicz said. “Then curl up and watch Netflix in the warmth of your blanket. It’ll make you feel like you’re not going to be alone for the rest of your life.”

Some people also celebrate “Gal-entine’s Day” either on Valentine’s Day or the day before. This idea, popularized by the show “Parks and Recreation,” is just to gather a group of friends and get brunch or another fancy meal while catching up on each other’s lives or playing fun party games.

Claire Kennedy, a senior biochemistry major, said she likes to celebrate by brightening her friends’ day.

“I think making cute Valentine’s Day cards for friends is a fun way to spend the day,” Kennedy said. “It’s a cute way to show you care about your friends and I always feel better after cause it’s nice to do things for others.”

There are all kinds of things to do on Valentine’s Day, even if you’re by yourself.

As long as you do something you enjoy, you can’t go wrong.

Emilee Tosh can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].