Transversing Spaces event scheduled for Tuesday

Corryn Brock, News Editor

The Academy of Lifelong Learning will host the second part of the three-part series Transversing Spaces: Increasing Empathy, Understanding and Equity Cross Colors Tuesday from 1:30 to 3 p.m.

The event is free to attend and open to students, faculty, staff and members of the surrounding community to attend. Those interested can register at https://tinyurl.com/Academy-Spring-2021 or call 581-5114.

Attending all three events is encouraged but not required of those attending.

The goal of this course is to provide people with opportunities to learn new skills and talk about important topics, and explore new areas of learning.

The course will review the history of race in the United States, offer participants an opportunity to delve into self identity, grow more competent in understanding how their identity was shaped, how that impacts their perception of others and other’s perceptions of them, according to the event’s description.

The course will also discuss what it means to realize that race is operative and respond through the lenses of race implicitly.

Carole Collins Ayanlaja led the first part of series.

She said people should stay engaged, speak their truth, expect and accept non-closure and respect the integrity of varied perspective.

“We are not born with clean slates,” Ayanlaja said. “In our society it is embedded to have someone check a box and declare a race.”

“We come into this world our race and we die our race.”

She also discussed the struggles many mixed children and adults experience in their lives like noting knowing where they fit in and feeling divided because of it.

During this event a focus will be placed on deconstructing what it means to be racist and exploring the reality of institutional/structural racism. The event will also provide strategies for developing a healthy space for intercultural and interracial involvement where authentic voices can be heard and empathy can be evoked.

According to the event description, “You will learn greater levels of cultural literacy and higher agency and efficacy through clear, confident cross racial dialogue and engagement to support strong relationships and a ‘more perfect union.’”

The final part will be hosted Feb. 2.

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]