Students share their thoughts on inauguration

Julie Zaborowski, Staff Reporter

Joseph R. Biden, Jr. was sworn in as the 46th President of the United States on Wednesday.

This year’s historical inauguration has sparked much debate and left many with questions as to what will come next.

With the new vice president, Kamala Harris, being the first woman and person of Black and South Asian descent to hold the office, the country continuing its combat with COVID-19 and citizens protesting for causes on both the left and right side of politics, students have mixed opinions on the swearing-in of the 46th president of the United States.

Silvey Gardner, a freshman elementary education major, said she voted for former President Donald Trump in the 2020 presidential election.

Gardner said she was not happy about the transition of power.

“I feel like the world is pretty close to ending,” Garner said. “The government system is so corrupt. Biden and Harris are going to ruin this country.”

She added that she believes her generation has been convinced Trump is not a good person.

“Our generation is so brainwashed into believing that Trump is awful as if it’s a personality trait not to like him,” Gardner said. “So many young people are uneducated on politics yet too stubborn to accept that or listen to what anyone else has to say.”

Francesco Romano, a junior computer science, said he voted for Andrew Yang in the 2020 election but “feels optimistic” about Bidens administration.

Ethan Nelson, a freshman business major, said he believes the country will be less divided now due to media bias.

“America will be less divided with Biden in office because the mainstream media has a liberal bias,” Nelson said.

He added he is “looking forward to Joe Biden and Kamala Harris bringing everyone back together again and making everyone pro American again.”

Kaylee Jagniatkowski, a freshman undecided major she’s “excited to see what the future holds.”

Jagniatkowski said she believes the new administration will be beneficial for the economy.

“I believe Joe Biden will help the economy due to the fact of how well the economy was under the Obama administration,” Jagniatkowski said.

Jagniatkowski said she believes now more than ever we are more divided at this time because of how devoted Trump supporters are.

Adam Schmidt, a sophomore hospitality management major, said he is interested to see how Trump exits the office.

“I think it’ll be interesting to see how people continue to see Trump after he’s left office. Normally former presidents get more favorable when they exit office and hide for a while. But I don’t think that’ll be the case for Trump.”

Several students expressed they are excited to see Harris in her new role.

Claire Kennedy, a senior biochemistry major, said she is looking forward to the first female vice president.

“I can’t wait to see what Vice President Harris does in her term. It’s really exciting and inspiring to see a woman holding the vice presidency,” Kennedy said.

She added she hopes Harris serves as an inspiration to other women and young girls.

“I think it’s really awesome that she is going to inspire so many young girls,” Kennedy said. “I hope she helps brings more girls to the White House.”

Bre Celestin, a junior psychology major, said she enjoyed seeing the inauguration and that she is hopeful for the future.

“I thought the inauguration was beautiful. And as a black woman I was so happy to see Kamala enter office as the first Black woman vice president,” Celestin said. “I’m looking forward to positive changes within our government and more diversity in the White House.”

Thalia Rouley, a senior graphic design major, said she is looking forward to the power shift.

“I feel optimistic about the inauguration and pretty empowered seeing that we have a female vice president. I think it sets an example for women all over America and the world and I feel like women kind of got a little bit of power back now that there isn’t a raging misogynist in the office anymore.”

She added she is excited for young girls in the United States.

“Young girls and children now will never know a time where there was not a female vice president.”

Julie Zaborowski can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].