Eastern students share hobbies

Kyara Morales-Rodriguez, Campus Reporter

Every January, people across America recognize this month as National Hobby Month. During this time, especially with it being the start of the new year, people reflect on their favorite hobbies. Many also use this time to take on new hobbies they have been wanting to try for a while.

Here at Eastern, students enjoy many hobbies, using them to de-stress, learn something new or challenge themselves.

Ivy James, a sophomore exercise science student, is a very active person and enjoys playing soccer, swimming, hiking, cycling and playing the piano. Out of the many hobbies she enjoys, swimming is her favorite.

“Being in the water for me is one of the most calming and immeasurable sense of peace. Growing up on an island, swimming was one of the things I got to do on my own,” James said. “The time alone helped me grow, learn new things about myself, and how to enjoy my own company.”

James said she loves taking on new hobbies because there are plenty of benefits to having them, one of which is stress management.

Setting time aside for her hobbies allows James to destress. She said she hopes to take on some new hobbies, two of which are skating and archery.

Lukas Hastings, a freshman biochemistry student, also enjoys lots of hobbies. He enjoys reading poetry, listening to music, cruising, gaming and practicing personal care. He explained that he especially enjoys gaming.

“I have been gaming for more than ten years now. My father introduced me to it, but I quickly got my own liking to it,” Hastings said. “My favorite games are strategic games that require critical thinking. While it’s not a video game necessarily, my favorite game is chess.”

Alexandra Gomez, a freshman exercise science student, enjoys many hobbies, including painting, listening to music, hanging out with friends and watching movies. Out of all the hobbies she enjoys doing, her favorite hobby is listening to music.

“I think music is powerful and it can be relaxing during stressful times. I also love being able to discover so many different songs and artists. My favorite part of listening to music is listening to old songs that remind me of old memories,” Gomez said.

Gomez said she hopes to take on skateboarding as a new hobby, because she thinks it would be a fun and thrilling activity for her to try.

Morgan Howard, a senior public relations student, has a very interesting hobby, with her taking time to make all-natural whipped body butter. She started making it for herself but has since created a small business out of it.

“I’m really into all-natural skincare and I had problems with eczema. It’s great for really dry skin and has helped me a lot. I fell in love with adding different natural ingredients and making different products. I also love adding different fragrances to make the butter smell great too. It’s made out of three key butters: shea butter, mango butter and kokum butter. I also enjoy researching the different healing properties that each butter has,” Howard said.

Howard said she enjoys making body butter because it helps her de-stress. With anxiety being a big issue in her life, as well as the lives of people around her, putting her focus and energy into something positive helps her greatly.

“It’s humbling to know I can create something that promotes healing and put it out into the world,” Howard said.

Marcus Powell, a senior political science student, enjoys many hobbies, which include reading, working out and researching different issues affecting minority groups. Out of all his hobbies, he spends the most time researching cases regarding issues affecting minority groups, injustices within the police department, among other current issues.

“I just like digging deeper and finding solutions for the justice system,” Powell said. “It’s a passion that I have. I love doing those types of things and being an aid to different people.”

Powell hopes to take on two new hobbies: golf and chess.

“I would like to learn how to golf. The reason why is because it teaches you patience. I also want to learn how to play chess, because that’s what life is all about. It’s about knocking out those pieces and getting to where you need to go,” Powell said.

With all the daily stresses of life, hobbies are a great way to relax and help better one’s mental health.

Powell believes that a lot of people in today’s society do not have hobbies and that is the main reason people find themselves bored, especially now with the pandemic limiting what we can do.

“I definitely think people should have more hobbies to relieve their minds sometimes. Sometimes you need to give your mind a break because I know sometimes we, as students and as adults in general, overwhelm ourselves with different challenges. Sometimes you need to take that break and be able to relieve your mind and let it relax,” Powell said.

Gomez agrees, stating that more people should make time for hobbies because they are a great way to relax and enjoy oneself, which is especially beneficial to students who need to de-stress due to school.

Howard shares a similar sentiment, explaining that hobbies can be beneficial both to you and to the people around you.

“It’s important to have hobbies because it’s alleviating when we take our minds off of our day-to-day stress and get into something we love,” Howard said. “I encourage everyone to find a hobby. Experiment with different things you are passionate about. Your hobby could turn into something much bigger and help people along the way.”

Kyara Morales-Rodriguez can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]