Panthers snap 4-game skid with 77-65 win

Adam Tumino | The Daily Eastern News

Eastern senior guard Karle Pace dribbles around a defender in a game at Lantz Arena against Western Illinois on Dec. 6, 2020

Adam Tumino, Editor-in-Chief

Another win is in the books for the Eastern women’s basketball team after they beat Southern Illinois Edwardsville 77-65 Monday afternoon.

The Panthers improved to 2-4 in conference play with the win, which also snapped a 4-game losing streak.

Strong defense in the first quarter allowed the Panthers to get ahead, ending the quarter leading 16-9.

The Panther defense held the Cougars to just 4-of-15 shooting in the first quarter including 0-of-5 from three-point range. Eastern’s offense shot 7-of-15 from the field in the quarter.

Eastern did not shoot as well in the second quarter, going just 5-of-16 from the field as each team scored 14 points in the quarter.

After halftime the Panther offense hardly missed a shot for the rest of the game.

Eastern shot 16-of-21 from the field in the third and fourth quarters combined including 6-of-7 from three. They also shot 9-of-10 from the free throw line in the second half, all coming in the fourth quarter.

Southern Illinois-Edwardsville was outscored 20-14 in the third quarter, but responded in the fourth, outscoring Eastern 28-27.

It was the best shooting quarter for the Cougar offense as they shot 11-of-18 from the field and 3-of-6 from three.

Eastern was led Monday by senior guard Karle Pace who scored 20 points, one shy of her season-high set Dec. 30, 2020.

It was an efficient afternoon for Pace, who shot 6-of-8 from the field, 4-of-6 from three and 4-of-4 from the free throw line.

Sophomore forward Morgan Litwiller was the only other Panther to score in double figures, tallying 17 points on 6-of-11 shooting and 5-of-7 from three.

Junior guard Kira Arthofer contributed in multiple ways, scoring 7 points and recording 8 rebounds and 8 assists.

The 77 points the Panthers scored is the third-highest total on the season and the most points they have scored since an 88-74 win against Western Illinois on Dec. 6, 2020. In the seven games since the win over Western, Eastern averaged 66.7 points per game.

The Panthers take the floor again on Jan. 14 against Morehead and Jan. 16 against Eastern Kentucky with both games taking place at home for Eastern.

It will be Eastern’s first game of the season against Morehead State and the second against Eastern Kentucky, which beat the Panthers 80-69 on Dec. 30.

Adam Tumino can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].