Students prepare to binge shows over break

Kyara Morales-Rodriguez, Campus Reporter

Winter Break is coming up in less than two weeks, promising Eastern students a much-deserved break from the stresses of college life. Soon, Eastern students can stop worrying about exams, essays and projects, instead focusing on doing the things that make them happy.

For many Eastern students, those things include spending time with loved ones, taking up new hobbies and binge-watching TV series. Binge-watching TV series, watching multiple episodes of a television program in one sitting, has become an increasingly popular thing to do. Especially with the growing use of streaming services such as Netflix and Hulu, it has become easier than ever to binge-watch TV series.

Brett Bryden, a freshman elementary education student, said he plans to stay home to avoid large crowds, doing what he can to prevent the spread of COVID-19. He hopes to use Winter Break to spend time with close friends and family back in his hometown.

Bryden said he does not often binge-watch TV series, but when he does, he enjoys lighthearted and humorous shows that stay within the 20-minute mark.

“Shows like ‘That ‘70s Show,’ ‘The Office,’ and ‘Schitt’s Creek’ are some of my favorites. I like that those shows have quick episodes that are both funny and develop good plots,” Bryden said.

He said he is not watching anything in particular, but he hopes to watch some Christmas movies over winter break.

“I like to watch a lot of older Christmas movies during winter break because they put me in the mood for the holidays and make me feel nostalgic,” Bryden said.

He recommends people check out ‘This Is Us,’ a drama series about seemingly random different people, several of whom share a birthday, as their lives intertwine in unexpected ways.

“‘This Is Us’ is about a family, but it goes back and forth between generations and past lives. It’s a very involved show that will make you self-reflect, laugh and cry,” he said. “Shows like ‘The Office’ and ‘Schitt’s Creek’ are good for people looking for a goofy show they can pay attention to.”

Jennifer Escobedo, a senior health communications student, enjoys binge-watching TV series. She likes a lot of different types of series, loving to watch comedies, crime dramas, game shows, medical dramas, and other types of shows.

“Some of my favorite shows to watch have been ‘Bones,’ ‘Criminal Minds,’ ‘The Voice,’ ‘Shadowhunters,’ ‘The Good Doctor’ and many more,” Escobedo said. “I like to watch these shows because you never really know what’s going to happen next. I also like the action and suspense it gives you, as well as the storyline between all the episodes.”

Currently, Escobedo is watching ‘Elite,’ a Spanish thriller series on Netflix. The series is about three working class teens that enrolled into an exclusive private school in Spain. A clash between them and the rich kids at their new school eventually leads to a murder.

“I like that [‘Elite’] has a lot of drama, action, and suspense. There are a lot of cliffhangers that leave me wondering what is going to happen next and makes me want to keep watching the show. The plot of the show is also very good, and since the show is based in Spain, they speak Spanish which just adds another level to the story,” she said.

The show Escobedo recommends people watch is ‘The Good Doctor,’ a medical drama. The series is about Shaun Murphy, a young autistic surgeon, who joins the surgical unit at the prestigious San Jose St. Bonaventure Hospital.

“Every episode [of ‘The Good Doctor’], I have seen so far has been good. Each one has a good message behind it. I like that it gives people who are on the spectrum some hope that they can strive to do and become anything they put their minds to,” Escobedo said.

Caroline Quarton, a freshman pre-nursing student, loves binge-watching TV series. Some of her favorite series throughout the years are ‘Gossip Girl,’ ‘Vampire Diaries,’ ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ and ‘90210.’ Quarton said she really enjoys plot lines that have romance, drama and action.

“I am currently watching ‘Gossip Girl.’ It’s about the Upper East side of Manhattan and the teenagers who attend a private school there. I’m currently watching it for the second time because Netflix is taking it off. I finished two seasons in four days, so I hope to finish it soon,” Quarton said.

She recommends people watch ‘90210,’ a series about a tight-knit circle of friends from West Beverly and their world of glamour and privilege.

“‘90210’ starts off a bit slow, but it is one of my favorite TV shows ever. It takes place in Beverly Hills and follows these students who graduate high school and try to stay in touch,” she said. “There are some really interesting characters. I really enjoyed how they took old characters from the original series and integrated them into the new one.”

Kyara Morales-Rodriguez can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].