OVC women’s teams finding mixed results

Eastern+guard+Lariah+Washington+attempts+a+shot+from+under+the+basket+against+Northern+Illinois+on+Dec.+4.+Washington+scored+12+points+in+the+game.+

Adam Tumino | The Daily Eastern News

Eastern guard Lariah Washington attempts a shot from under the basket against Northern Illinois on Dec. 4. Washington scored 12 points in the game.

Adam Tumino, Editor-in-Chief

It is still early in the season, but for the women’s basketball teams of the OVC, conference play is already right around the corner.

It is scheduled to begin later this week for some teams, with the rest to follow next week.

Eleven of the 12 teams have begun their seasons with only Tennessee Tech not yet playing a game. For those teams that have played so far, non-conference season has yielded vastly different results.

The only teams without a loss this season are Austin Peay and Jacksonville State, which are both 2-0. Their wins have come against foes that are not necessarily formidable.

Austin Peay picked up wins against North Alabama and Trevecca. Jacksonville State has beaten Georgia Southern and New Orleans.

Only Eastern and Murray State have played four games each, the most in the OVC. Each team is 2-2.

After winning its opener against UIC, Eastern’s two losses came against Minnesota and Northern Illinois on Dec. 2 and Dec. 4. The Panthers then bounced back with a win against Western Illinois Dec. 6.

Murray State has alternated wins and losses this season. The Racers lost to Kentucky in its opener, beat Evansville, lost to Indiana State and then earned a victory against Mississippi Valley.

Eastern Kentucky has had to roughest start to the season with an 0-2 record. The Colonels also have the conference’s lowest-scoring offense (54.5 points per game) and are allowing the most points in the OVC (100.5). But these results are understandable considering their opponents.

Their losses came against Indiana and Louisville, who are ranked 15th and second in the nation respectively.

Tennessee-Martin’s Chelsey Perry has started the season hot after last season in which she named the OVC Player of the Year.

Perry scored 26 points in the Skyhawks’ opener against Louisville and then put up 31 against Samford Tuesday. Her 28.5 points per game lead the OVC.

Eastern forward Abby Wahl is leading the conference in rebounding, averaging 12.5 rebounds per game. She is also ranked ninth in the OVC in scoring averaging 17.7 points per game.

The reigning OVC Freshman of the Year, Eastern’s Lariah Washington, is also off to a hot start scoring the ball. She ranks seventh in the conference averaging 18 points per game. She also ranks seventh in the conference in field goal percentage, shooting 53.1 percent.

Another Eastern player is near the top of the leaderboards as well. Junior guard Kira Arthofer ranked second in the conference with 4.5 assists per game.

Adam Tumino can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].