Limited number of students return to campus

Corryn Brock, News Editor

Around 1,000 students said they would return to campus after Thanksgiving Break in a university survey with a 73 percent response rate, cutting the number of students in Eastern’s on-campus housing in half.

Due to the decrease in on-campus populations with classes moving online for the remainder of the Fall 2020 semester, changes have been made around campus.

As some student workers did not return to campus Taylor Dining Center is closed for the remainder of the semester with those who work there being moved to Thomas Dining Center.

Thomas Dining Center will be open Monday through Friday (8 a.m. to 10 a.m., 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.) and Late Night Pizza will be available Monday through Thursday from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m.

Thomas Dining Center will also begin featuring popular meals typically served at Taylor for the remainder of the semester as well as made to order salads.

Tower Dining Center will also remain open for the semester.

Stevenson Grill will be open every day, Monday through Friday the hours will be 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and the grill will be open from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.

Stevenson Deli will be open every day, lunch will be served from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and dinner will be served from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.

The University Food Court will be open Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Java Beanery and Bakery Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Students who returned to campus are still expected to follow the following guidelines:

· social distancing,

· gathering size limitations,

· personal protective equipment (PPE) including face and mouth coverings,

· COVID-19 diagnostic testing (including before or upon arrival to campus),

· contact tracing,

· disinfection protocols,

· limitations on guests in campus living environments, and

· quarantine/isolation requirements (including before or upon arrival to campus)

Students should follow these guidelines in all residential spaces, including bedrooms, bathrooms, community kitchens, lounges, dining centers, courtyards, and other common spaces.

Regarding PPE students should wear a mask unless:

· you are in your individual residence hall room by yourself,

· you can maintain six-foot distancing in student suites or university-operated apartments,

· you are using a recreational cardio machine in the EIU Recreation Center,

· you are jogging on the Tom Woodall Panther Trail, or

· you are taking a walk during the evenings and weekends and you can maintain social distancing of six feet or more between walkers

Students should also be monitoring themselves for symptoms of COVID-19.

Symptoms the university suggests looking for are a fever of 100.4° F (38° C) or higher, dry cough, difficulty breathing, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, or loss of taste or smell.

If students believe they are showing symptoms of COVID-19 they should contact the Medical Clinic for guidance.

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]