COVID tests available on campus Wednesday

Kyara Morales-Rodriguez, Campus Reporter

On Wednesday, Dec. 2 and Tuesday, Dec. 15 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Eastern will be providing students, faculty, staff, annuitants and members of the community another opportunity to get free COVID testing. This free COVID testing is being brought in partnership with the Illinois Department of Public Health.

Individuals are encouraged to pre-register for the date in which they are getting tested using the website My Chart. The link to the website and information on how to pre-register are on Eastern’s EIU COVID-19 webpage. Registering for My Chart will help people getting tested receive their results faster.

For both dates, the COVID testing site will take place at the South Entrance of the Lantz Fieldhouse. Both drive-through and walk-up options will be available.

Walk-up testing will be provided inside the Lantz Fieldhouse. Eastern states that attendees must enter at the south end of the Fieldhouse, which is located near the tennis courts and Campus Pond. Walk-up lines will be socially distanced around lanes 2 and 6 of the indoor track.

Drive-thru testing will be conducted outside the south end of the Fieldhouse, near the entrance door for walk-up testing. Eastern states cars must enter the J Lot off Grant Avenue, follow the queue directions.

Eastern asks attendees to wear a mask, since Eastern’s masking policy states all individuals must appropriately wear a clean cloth or disposable face mask while on campus. Additional masks will not be provided, so attendees must bring masks.

Apart from a mask, Eastern also asks attendees to bring a photo ID, an ink pen, their local (or school) address to provide to the testing staff, their insurance card (if they have one), and a smartphone to register for My Chart if they did not pre-register prior to the COVID testing date.

The kind of COVID testing Eastern is offering is called an “Anterior Nares Swab.” As Eastern explains, the specimen is collected by inserting a foam swab a small distance into each nostril. The swab is rotated and kept in place for approximately 15 seconds in each nostril.

After getting tested, students or employees who are traveling away from Charleston are encouraged to take all personal and academic materials that would be needed to isolate or quarantine in that location.

Students experiencing COVID symptoms are encouraged to call Eastern’s Medical Clinic at 217-581-3013 to schedule an appointment. Symptomatic students may be tested for COVID at the Medical Clinic for $25.

There are other local testing opportunities available for people unable to attend the two COVID testing dates, including testing options available at Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center.

Kyara Morales-Rodriguez can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]