Students share plans for Thanksgiving Break

Kyara Morales-Rodriguez, Campus Reporter

Thanksgiving Break is just around the corner, with Eastern closing up this Friday for the week-long break.

With how tough this semester has been on college students adapting to a new style of learning amid a pandemic, this break is just what Eastern’s students need for some much deserved rest and relaxation.

Alejandro Carvajal, a junior criminal justice major, explained that this semester has taken quite a toll on him.

“I am tired. I am tired because we have been in school since August with all these back-to-back assignments, exams, and quizzes,” Carvajal said. “It’s getting to a point where I just need a break. I’m mentally and physically tired.”

Because of how stressful this semester has been for him, Carvajal is excited to return home for Thanksgiving Break. Though he does not have any major plans, he is excited to go back to his old job at Target back home. He is also excited to see his friends and family.

“I am excited to see my friends and family. My aunt from Miami came back to Chicago so I’m excited to see her,” Caravajal said.

Alondra Solis, a senior Spanish student, expressed a similar sentiment as Carvajal, feeling burnt out after a long and stressful semester.

“I’m feeling tired and unmotivated. This transition has been hard and some professors don’t take that into account,” Solis said.

Solis will be staying in Charleston for the break because her apartment and job are here. Despite the fact that she will not be leaving town, she will be using this break as an opportunity to get her final assignments done and work at her job.

Justin Mitchell, junior computer science student, said they have not been having the greatest semester because of two of their classes. Their math class and computer science class have been particularly tough on them, so they are definitely looking forward to some much-deserved relaxation this Thanksgiving Break.

“My plan for Thanksgiving Break is to spend time with my family and friends, try to get my car fixed, and have a game night with my friends,” Mitchell said. “I am excited for Thanksgiving Break because I get to relax in my own house, see my little doggies, and spend the rest of the week with my friends and family.”

Jasmine Rivera, a junior graphic design student, is very optimistic about this past semester, feeling proud of herself for getting through a particularly tough semester.

“I had no idea what to expect coming into my first full semester during a pandemic, and on campus at that. At first it was a bit intimidating to be honest, but after a while, it wasn’t too bad. Of course things aren’t as lively as before, but I still feel like I’ve been making the most out of the situation. Even though I stay in my dorm now for the majority of the time, I do enjoy being able to go to work, my mini-walks to get food, and being active within my organization, LASO, and my fraternity Alpha Psi Lambda,” Rivera said.

Despite having such a good semester, Rivera is looking forward to going home this Thanksgiving Break. She explained that this is actually one of the first times in her college career that she is looking forward to going home. Though she loves her family, she enjoys campus life so much that Eastern has felt like a second home to her since her freshman year back in 2018.

“As much as I may enjoy campus life, I’m just happy to still have my family alive and well, to be honest, especially with everything that’s been going on. I’m glad to be able to spend this time with them even if it’s just for a week,” Rivera said.

At home, Rivera lives with her parents, grandparents, uncles, and her dog, Fluffy. She plans on using this break as an opportunity to spend time and have fun with her family.

“Though it won’t be the same without the rest of my family, of course, I’m still glad to be able to spend time with them for the holidays. Throughout the week, we will probably watch movies, play games, eat a variety of food, and ultimately just enjoy hanging out at home with each other. On Thanksgiving, those of us in the house will get together for the day, eat, hang out, and join a Zoom call with the rest of the family later on,” she said.

Tamara Perez, a freshman undecided major, is very nervous during this time of the semester because this was her first semester as a college student. She is facing her first finals week at Eastern, and she does not know what to expect.

Despite her worries, she is excited to use this upcoming break to relax and have fun.

“I am excited for Thanksgiving Break, because I will get to go home and see my family and friends,” Perez said. “My plans for Thanksgiving Break include eating lots and lots of food, taking a break from school, and spending time with my family.”

Kyara Morales-Rodriguez can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]