Student Speaker noms postponed

Theo Edwards, Staff Reporter

The Student Government meeting held Nov. 18 did not meet official quorum, therefore pushing the Speaker of the Senate election process back a week.

The appointment of several people to Student Dean Advisory Council and the Bylaws Review Committee will be postponed.

There were also no Senator of the Semester nominations because of the semester being short and Senators did not have as much time or opportunities to participate as previous years.

Student Vice President of Academic Affairs Justin Richard’s report included details of the first Student Dean Advisory Council Meeting.

People assigned to reach out to their respective Deans, submit professional looking photos and bios for the newsletter and possibly website, and talk to a minimum of 5 people within their college about what they would like to see in their respective college.

Richards along with Vice President of Student Affairs Skylar Coffey discussed the COVID-19 Care packages to be sent to quarantined students.

Items have been ordered for the care packages and boxes are being assembled in Oakland Room. Panther Catering will deliver boxes this coming Monday on Nov 23.

Coffey also announced Pantherpalooza has been set for Jan. 25 between the times of 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Jan. 26 between 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Other business during the meeting included:

· Business Affairs canceled the goods drive for the homeless due to COVID restraints.

· Diversity Affairs released information about the upcoming event, “Hot Topics and Hot Chocolate” which will be held Dec. 3 from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. and topics discussed will be about same-sex housing, cultural representation and diversity awareness.

· University Enhancements wrote legislation to urge EIU to increase trash and recycling bins on campus, as well as small trash cans in the female residential bathroom stalls.

· The University Police Department was also said to be willing to make a video with University Enhancements on safety measures on campus, but a time is still to be decided.

· Student Affairs is drafting a resolution for COVID-19 safety, which will be voted on next semester along with doing research about student safety informationals and COVID essential packages to be given out next semester.

The next Student Government meeting will be held after Thanksgiving Break on Dec. 2.

Theo Edwards can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].