COVID-19 tests, flu shots to be provided

Kyara Morales-Rodriguez, Staff Reporter

On Wednesday, Oct. 14, Eastern will host a COVID-19 surveillance testing and a flu shot clinic in partnership with the Illinois Department of Public Health and the Coles County Public Health Department.

The event will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., giving Eastern community members plenty of time to attend the pop-up clinic.

The clinic will take place in the W Lot located near the corner of Fourth Street and Roosevelt Drive, just west of Lawson Hall.

Both drive-through and walk-up options will be available, with vehicles being directed to enter the site via Terrace Lane, south of Wesley United Methodist Church.

Signage will be placed around the area to direct vehicle and foot traffic and attendees are asked to follow them as directed.

The COVID-19 testing and flu shots are both free and open to all students, faculty, staff, annuitants and the local community.

It is also important to note that individuals may choose to participate in either COVID-19 testing or the flu shot clinic. Individuals can choose to participate in both, but it is not obligated.

Individuals will be expected to bring certain items when attending the event:

· Eastern students will need to bring their Panther Card and provide their local (school) address to the testing staff.

· Eastern employees and annuitants will be expected to bring their Panther Card and insurance card, if they have one.

· Community members will have to bring a photo ID and their insurance card, if they have one.

All attendees must also bring face masks, and they must be properly worn covering the mouth and nose.

Masks will not be provided so everyone attending the clinic must bring their own. Social distancing must also be maintained at all times during the event.

For anybody unable to attend the pop-up clinic on Wednesday, the Coles County Health Department will be hosting another COVID-19 testing and flu shot clinic on Thursday, Oct. 15.

That event will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Peterson Park in Mattoon.

Kyara Morales-Rodriguez can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]