Students talk about virtual homecoming

Heather Vosburgh, Staff Reporter

Homecoming events will be virtual this year due to the pandemic. This is to maintain the health and safety of the Eastern and Charleston communities.

Students who have experienced past homecomings reflect on the changes to the events.

Mark Codo, a senior TV and video production student, says it is best for homecoming be virtual this year.

“It’s definitely a safe route. Normally, when it comes to homecoming, you’re expecting huge events like football games, parades and all sorts of fun activities going on around,” Codo said. “While there will still be activities going on for that, I mean, it’s better to be safe than sorry.”

Grace Knapp, a sophomore psychology and criminology major, says online homecoming is unappealing to her.

“Just because the whole point of homecoming is all the activities you get to do with your friends, and it being online kind of defeats the purpose,” Knapp said. “You can do it over Zoom, but it’s still not the same.”

Hannah Garrett, a senior history education major, said it is better to have homecoming online to keep everyone safe.

“I feel like if we have anything in person, more people are going to get sick and I don’t want to get sick,” Garrett said.

Garrett said she is interested to see how homecoming is this year.

“I’m excited to see what they do with it, like, how it’s going to be virtual because I know that trying to plan virtual things is very hard,” Garret said. “So, I’m excited to see what they do.”

Brenden Applegate, a sophomore accounting major, said he is interested to see what’s different about this year’s homecoming.

“I’m looking forward to see what they do differently to still keep us involved,” Applegate said. “That will be the biggest challenge, but I think Eastern has the ability to overcome.”

Applegate said he will miss the ability to meet new people during homecoming.

“I think my favorite part was meeting everyone, like, celebrating, being at the football game and doing different things like that,” Applegate said. “That was always fun.”

Codo said he will miss the social aspect of homecoming.

“The one thing I’m going to miss this year is getting together with some people that I know to go to these events and activities,” Codo said. “And while there are certain activities that are still going to go on, they will be virtual.”

Students reminded others of safety guidelines during homecoming.

Codo said to be safe and have fun.

“Remember to be safe. You still got to follow the guidelines, and I am not saying this to be rude, I am saying this because I want everything to be safe, people to be safe and be okay. Just make sure you’re not spreading the virus to other people because, if there’s one thing that I know, it’s that we don’t want to have a homecoming full of viruses,” Codo said. “So just remember to wear your mask, remember to wash your hands, have hand sanitizer on you and if you want to have people over, you still got to be safe.”

Knapp said the pandemic is unpleasant and encouraged others to follow guidelines.

“Everyone should social distance and follow the CDC guidelines, so next year’s homecoming won’t be over zoom,” she said.

Heather Vosburgh can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].