National Girls’ Night celebrated Tuesday

Elizabeth Taylor, Associate News Editor

National Girls’ Night occurs every year on Sept. 22 to encourage women to relax and spend time with their friends.

Between classes, studying, work, and other activities, it can be difficult for college students to find a time to have a calm evening when their friends are available too, but spending that time together can be therapeutic.

A “girls’ night” does not have to be gender-specific; while it traditionally is a time for a group of female friends to hang out, some people use the term to refer to the activity, rather than the participants.

In that sense, a girls’ night would be considered a chance to either go out and party or stay in, watch movies and practice self-care.

Sam Hennegan, junior English major, said that her friend group enjoys those typical activities.

“I like to do facemasks, nails, and watch funny movies,” Hennegan said. “Also, lots of food, especially chocolate.”

However, the COVID-19 pandemic has made those plans difficult to organize.

“I’ve had a few zoom girls’ nights,” Hennegan said. “It was definitely interesting and honestly not as fun.”

Elizabeth Houck, junior graphic design major, said that her friend group usually has a more artistic version of the event.

“We like to paint and watch movies, mostly,” Houck said. “We do a lot of dyeing each other’s hair, too.”

Especially this year, staying in is much easier- and safer- than getting dressed up and going out.

Grace Osborn, senior biology major, said that her friend group likes to change it up sometimes, but normally stays in.

“It’ll usually involve movies, video games, and just catching up with them,” Osborn said.

Movie viewing is one of the more common girls’ night activities, likely because of how accessible and easy it is to stream something.

Comedies are a popular choice, as well as rom coms.

Hennegan said her favorite is White Chicks, while Houck said she tends to go with nostalgic Disney movies.

Scheduling issues can force girls’ night to transform into various events.

“Our ‘girls’ nights’ have turned into lunches with as many of us can make it at that time,” Houck said. “It’s upsetting, because I miss having the gang together, but eventually it’ll work out.”

Social distancing and the lack of frat parties have made girls’ nights more difficult, but Zoom and Netflix Party can help to bring friends together despite the pandemic.

Elizabeth Taylor can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]