International Literacy Day recognized at Eastern

Heather Vosburgh, Staff Reporter

International Literacy Day emphasizes the significance of literacy within communities and society as a whole and is celebrated each Sept. 8 since 1967.

In celebrating International Literacy Day, some might tutor a child in their community or fund a child’s literacy tutoring while others might start a book club in their place of work or with friends. 

Keith Nelson, a senior TV and Film Production major, said he reads all the time. His books of choice include thrillers, mysteries and nonfiction. Nelson is also especially interested in the dictionary. 

“Usually, I like to read the dictionary just because I love learning new words,” Nelson said. “I would flip to a random page and just start reading just because once you read the dictionary, every other book is a remix.” 

Nelson said dyslexia proved to be a challenge to his reading — one he overcame.

“I’m actually dyslexic, so when I was starting to read, I had a really big problem with it and my mom really didn’t know, like, anything about that or, like, how to help me. So the school was like, ‘Look, he’s dyslexic, he needs, you know, special education,’” Nelson said. “So, I mean, now I can read probably a whole page in a few seconds.”

Nelson said he found a way to work past his early childhood difficulties.

“Your brain is a muscle, so if you want to get better or stronger at anything, you need practice,” Nelson said. “So, I mean, I spent most of my life reading books just because I was behind in it in my life and I wanted to get ahead.” 

Nelson said communication and literacy are important because of its effects on history.

“The thing with communication and words is that it’s like time: It’s relevant. That’s why over many generations slang becomes a thing, and it’s so popular because now what we call slang, 20 years from now could be how people are normally talking. It evolves, like Shakespeare. It is time and error,” Nelson said. “We don’t talk like that anymore, yet we still have technology and the ability to understand it because it was the base and the steppingstone for what we call communication now.” 

Kyla Kyles, a sophomore graphic design student, said it is sad that there are people who are illiterate. 

“I think everybody should learn how to read even though it is kind of hard. Everybody should know how to read,” Kyles said. “Everybody should be taught to read.” 

Kaleb Coleman, a freshman computer science major, said literacy is crucial for societies to function.

“It’s a really big issue,” Coleman said. “I feel like being literate is a really big part of education and being educated is a really important factor of our society.” 

Coleman said some people take the ability to read for granted.

“I think that reading is a very important factor of learning and your education, so if you aren’t making reading a priority or if you’re not reading important things for class, or stuff like that, then you’re missing out because it’s really an important part of learning,” Coleman said. 

Freshman English major Connie Hemrich said people can take literacy for granted, but that is not always the case. 

“There’s a lot of people who respect their abilities and their privilege that they can and have been taught to read,” she said.   

Nelson said literacy should be viewed as a necessity.

“It should be like air; everybody deserves it,” Nelson said. “Everybody needs it because if we can’t communicate between each other in a society, then we’re going to get nowhere in life.” 

Heather Vosburgh can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]