Notebook: Eastern’s Washington wins another conference honor

Oscar Rzodkiewicz, Assistant Sports Editor

Adam Tumino | The Daily Eastern News
Forward Abby Wahl tries to dribble past a defender in Eastern’s 59-57 loss against Indiana State on Nov. 10 at Lantz Arena.

Eastern women’s basketball freshman Lariah Washington received her second Ohio Valley Conference freshman of the week award after posting 29 points and 13 rebounds in two Panther victories last week.

In four conference matchups this season, Washington ranks second on the team in sco ring at 10.5 points per game and first in rebounding with 5.5 boards per contest.

Washington received her first OVC freshman of the week honor on Nov. 19.

Eastern (9-6, 3-1 OVC) remains tied for second in the conference and begins a four-game homestand tomorrow against Jacksonville State (6-9, 2-2 OVC) at 5:15 p.m.

Knotted with the Panthers in the standings is Belmont (8-7, 3-1 OVC) after the Bruins split the weekend with a 57-45 win over Southeast Missouri before falling to Tennessee-Martin on the road 74-57.

Belmont allows an OVC-low 53 points per game while also holding opponents to a team field goal percentage of 32.3 percent in conference matchups, good for second in the OVC.

The Bruins return home to face Eastern Kentucky (7-8, 1-3 OVC) tomorrow at 5 p.m. before hosting Morehead State (6-10, 2-2 OVC) on Saturday at 2 p.m.

Atop the OVC standings, two teams remain perfect in conference play: Tennessee Tech (11-4, 4-0 OVC) and Tennessee-Martin (8-7, 4-0 OVC).

The Golden Eagles come off two conference wins with single-digit margins, the first against Austin Peay on Thursday before finishing off Murray State this past weekend.

Tennessee Tech boasts four of the top 15 players in field goal percentage in OVC play, including senior Anacia Wilkinson and her 57.7 percent clip.

The Golden Eagles have a two-game road stint this weekend, starting against Southern Illinois Edwardsville (3-12, 1-3 OVC) tomorrow at 5:30 p.m. before heading to Charleston to face Eastern on Saturday at 1 p.m.

Meanwhile, the Skyhawks posted two 17-point wins, including an 88-71 victory over Tennessee State, in which junior Chelsey Perry posted 22 points before leaving the game with injury, and then followed it up with a 34-point outbreak on a sprained ankle against Belmont.

Perry, the lead scorer in conference play this season, took home OVC Player of the Week honors for her performance.

Tennessee-Martin hosts Murray State (8-7, 1-3 OVC) tomorrow at 5:30 p.m. before taking on Austin Peay on Saturday with a 2 p.m. start time.

Both teams rank first and second in conference play in scoring offense, scoring margin, 3-point field goal percentage and assists.

Oscar Rzodkiewicz can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].