EIUGivingBlueDay starts Tuesday, goes 24 hours

Dillan Schorfheide, Sports Editor

Tuesday will mark the third annual day of donations for Eastern athletic programs, as the EIUGivingBlueDay starts Tuesday.

The event is a 24-hour online campaign to raise funds for the betterment of Eastern Athletics’ student-athletes and their specific sports, according to release on the Eastern Athletics website.

Last year, the support received was overwhelming, the release said, and the donations benefitted over 450 Eastern student-athletes and their specific programs.

During the fundraiser last year, Eastern Athletics received more than 42,000 in donations and corporate matching gifts coming from more than 500 individuals, according to a story published on the athletics website Dec. 18, 2018.

Last year, the sports teams took part in friendly competitions during the day to see which could raise more money, the story said. 

The top four sports last year were the softball, baseball, swimming and volleyball teams, according to the story.

People who donate can either donate to a specific team of their choice, or they can give a general donation to the athletics department.

The Eastern Athletics Twitter account has been counting down the days until Tuesday on Twitter, and some of the individual teams’ or sports’ accounts have done the same.

For example, the EIU Soccer Twitter account tweeted Monday morning that donations toward the EIU men’s or women’s soccer teams will go toward the new game field.

Dillan Schorfheide can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].