Opinion: What do you look forward to weekly?

Jaidyn Yarber, Columnist

It’s easy to divide college into weeks. Even most of my classes’ syllabi are divided by weeks; assignments and projects due by week number. But, it’s the influences that drive us to continue by that weekly schedule. What do you look forward to every week?

It’s easy to feel discouraged with the overwhelming amounts of exams and homework that comes with the few weeks between first and second semester. Cramming in information and study guides for finals week is a lot for anyone to handle. So, whether it’s club meetings, church groups, or dinner with friends, it can be helpful to find motivation outside of the classroom. Stress needs an outlet, a positive one that is not only reliable but effective. You have to find tiny inspirations within those weeks and just keep on keepin’ on.

Take me for example, I look forward to boneless wings, cookie dough ice cream, and mac-n-cheese from the dining halls, but what drives me the most through the week are calls from my sisters and Wednesdays — when I have two English classes.

It’s easy to find enthusiasm when I’m happy and manageably stressed, but, unfortunately, I and most college students don’t have the time or energy to always be so upbeat and positive. When I am having a particularly rough week, all I look forward to are naps between classes. It’s not difficult to find an initiative when you’re searching for one, especially when this campus has so much to offer.

Eastern has many diverse options, such as the Rec Center, Health & Counseling, and countless RSO’s. As much as I do enjoy going to the Rec Center, I can’t always be in the mood for exercise, when sometimes all I need is my favorite TV show or a good study session with friends.

Wherever it is that you find your de-stressors, find your peace within positive and effective methods. Give yourself a break and remember to keep your priorities in check. As long as you don’t lose sight of your goals, nothing can stand in your way to achieve them all.

Life is tough, but so are you. These weeks fly by faster than you know. Even if you do fall behind in a class, just take a deep breath and remind yourself that it’s not the end of the world. Don’t mentally strain yourself too much, and be nice to yourself; you could unknowingly motivate others just by being a good student or friend.

Jaidyn Yarber is a freshman English major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]