Eastern mourns death of student

Corryn Brock, News Editor

Eastern senior marketing major Xena Pratt died Wednesday at Carle Foundation Hospital in Champaign, Illinois.

Pratt graduated from Streator Township High School in 2015 and would have graduated from Eastern in May.

Pratt was described in a statement from her family on Facebook as “a beautiful soul, full of life, kindness, laughter, and love.”

The statement called Pratt a “loving daughter, sister, and friend who left her mark on those she knew or met.”

A statement from Eastern President David Glassman said “those who knew Xena valued her friendship, appreciated her vibrancy, and were charmed by her unbound optimism.”

Glassman stated students who are impacted by the news are encouraged to contact the counseling clinic and to lift each other up.

Pratt was an employee at the movie theater Streat Eagle 6.

A statement from her employer Eric Gublelman included several comments on Pratt’s personality describing her as a playful and intelligent person.

“Her playful side came out when she and co-worker Angel Leibov decided to christen the popcorn machine with the name of ‘Karen.’ From now on, that fabulous beast of a machine will be “Xena,’” Gublelman said in his statement. “… we had hopes of corralling her into the Theater Life for a good long time. I met with her several months ago and planted that seed, and I am so, so sorry this is one dream of mine that will not happen. When you work with young people, you hope that they learn from us and eventually leave the nest. But not this way. Not this damn way.”

A GoFundMe has been created to help Pratt’s family cover funeral expenses.

A celebration of life for Pratt will be held at Sweet Holy Spirit at 8621 S. South Chicago Avenue, Chicago, Illinois on Saturday Nov. 23. The visitation will be from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. and the funeral service will be from 11 a.m. to noon.

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]