Time has wings, so enjoy the present

Blake Faith, Sports Reporter

Time has wings. People who know me know I use this phrase sometimes. To me, it describes a period of time that I can’t believe went by so fast.

We’re approaching week six of this semester. For some students, you are in the middle of the grind, whether you’ve had exams, projects or homework. For our student athletes, you’re either playing your sport or preparing for your upcoming season.

I have not had an exam as of yet, but I have had my fair share of homework and projects. The big picture though, for me and other seniors at Eastern, is that we are six months closer to the ultimate goal: graduation. I hope I’m not the only one that thinks this way.

When I first arrived here on campus, I didn’t know when graduation would be. I thought I’d take classes here at Eastern, work my job at Walmart and not be in as many RSOs. Basically, I didn’t know whether I would be able to enjoy my college years.

If you had told me at the end of my first semester here at Eastern that by my senior year I’d cover a main sports for The Daily Eastern News, I’d write a weekly column and become a better student, I would’ve said, ‘no chance.’

Eastern has taught me that you must step out of your comfort zone and take risks. I wanted to add more to my journalism repertoire, so that’s why I write these weekly columns.

It has also given me a support system and some of my closest friends in life. I’m a homebody in every sense of the word.

So back home it is easier for me to be outgoing and put my personality out there with my closest friends. When you go to college it’s a whole different world, but you do not have to change your personality. Instead you should thrive on it.

One of my closest friends is my cousin. I spoke to him the other day and said most people in our personal circumstances coming from our hometown of Decatur, Illinois do not make it to their ultimate goal. After these five weeks, I can say I’m inching closer and closer to the goal of graduation.

I also remember one of my friends that graduated told me my senior year will be gone in a blink. So while we should strive to succeed in the classroom, graduate and go out into the real world, let’s remember one thing.

We only have one year or more or less to enjoy our time as Panther students. For some, it’s going to athletic events and cheering on our school. For others, it’s taking risks.

There is a mix of panthers, and that’s what I’m striving for. At the same time, know that time has wings and before you know it we’ll be walking that stage, grabbing our diplomas and becoming Panther alumni.

Blake Faith is a senior journalism major. He can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].