Over 100 students show up to BSU bowling event

Elizabeth Wood

Elishia Wright (left), a freshman psychology major, Heaven Jackson (middle), a freshman majoring in finance, and Kyla Kyles, a freshman business managment, bowl during the Ice Cream Party that was hosted by the Black Student Union at EIU Lanes on Tuseday night. The Vice President of the Black Student Union, Shariah Campbell, who is a junior majoring in human service and community leadership, said the event was mainly focused on bringing students together.

Imani Tapley, Reporter

Over 100 students showed up to the Black Student Union’s ice cream social and bowling event  it held Tuesday night at the EIU Lanes in the MLK Jr. Student Union.

With the lanes full and the staff running out of shoe sizes, students were smiling with spoons filled of ice cream. 

Board members, met and greeted new comers, with multiple flavors of ice cream and many toppings for people to choice from.

BSU President Jay Caver, a senior corporate communications major, said he was shocked by the outcome and at the over 100 people who were in attendance. 

“Lots of people, lots of familiar faces and I am hoping that they all come to the first meeting,” Carver said. 

Nia DeRamus, a sophomore early childhood education major, appreciates having events like this on Eastern’s campus. 

“Being able to see people having a good time with your same race, in the same place, is important,” DeRamus said.

Black Student Union secretary, Kip Beach a senior management information systems major, said, “It is our job to host events where minorities can come together and have a good time.” 

Being involved in new things was important for Marques Ray, a sophomore criminal justice major, who also plays on Eastern’s football team. 

He said it was important “because of all the long football practices. It’s nice to come to events like this after a hard day.” 

As the night came to an end, President Jay Caver told the remaining students about the first BSU meeting on Monday, Sept, 9. 

Imani Tapley can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]