City Council to vote on bid award for Lake Charleston project

Logan Raschke, Editor-in-Chief

The Charleston City Council will vote on a resolution that would accept a bid award in the amount of $267,785 for a public works project at Lake Charleston during its Tuesday meeting.

The resolution says the bid award is for the city’s steel sheet piling shore wall on Dam A at Lake Charleston.

Out of five total bidders for the project, G & H Marine Inc. had the lowest at $267,785: it charges a total of $263,785 for 400 linear feet of steel shore wall and $4,000 for mobilization, according to the resolution.

The funds for this contract work will be provided by a charitable grant that the city will take in quarterly installments, according to the resolution.

The council will also vote on an ordinance that would affirm the Board of Zoning Appeals and Planning’s recommendation to deny a zoning map amendment for property at 1540 Division St.

City Planner Steve Pamperin said Zimmer Real Estate Properties LLC’s petition was for a zoning map amendment from R-1 (a single family residential district) to R-3 (a limited multi-family residential district) for the property, which is in close proximity to Eastern.

Representative for petitioner Jason Williams said the east side of Division Street is used for higher occupancies, so Zimmer Real Estate said the R-3 line could also be extended there.

A five-bedroom home currently exists on the property, and those who occupy it will be charged rent, according to the Finding of Fact Sheet.

Williams also testified that “Eastern Illinois Properties has received a letter regarding over occupancy issues that has been rectified” regarding this location, according to the Finding of Fact Sheet.

Five people commented on the petition in opposition, and the Board of Zoning Appeals and Planning voted not to recommend approval of the amendment to the council.

The council will also vote on a resolution approving the purchase of a boat dock for Lake Charleston.

According to the resolution, the city has received a charitable grant in the amount of $46,500 for a new boat dock for the lake, but the actual purchase price of the dock will be less than $40,000.

The council will vote on two more resolutions that would authorize the disbursement of $2,000 in tourism funds to cover money spent for the National Softball Association South State Championships and $500 in tourism funds to WEIU to cover expenses for Kids Day on Aug. 17.

Diane Ratliff, tourism and special events supervisor, said the funds for the NSA South State Championships cover the cost of awards, bringing in officials and hospitality for officials.

The $500 in funds to WEIU for Kids Day go toward advertising for the event, she said.

The council will vote on one more resolution that would approve an agreement with Lake Land College for emergency medical services students to participate in clinical time with the Charleston Fire Department.

City clerk Deborah Muller said the agreement gives EMS students “hands-on experience” during the clinical time which they need to graduate. The agreement lasts from Monday to June 30, 2022.

The council will also vote on two announcements: the mayor Brandon Combs’ appointment of Tom Neal to a four-year term on the Electrical Commission and his appointment of Jessica Killough to a three-year term on the Tourism Advisory Board.

Logan Raschke can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].