Common sense is needed in life

Dillan Schorfheide, Assistant Sports Editor

It is the last week of this school year, so I thought it would be fun to end the year right, by letting everyone know the things that bug the crap out of me.

First of all, have some common sense when you are driving.

The amount of times I have been befuddled, speechless and confused by drivers’ actions this year is possibly the most in any school year of my life.

This is not directed at one group of people either; everyone just needs to make sure they are paying attention and using their brains when driving.

Obviously, doing so makes the roads safer for everyone.

But, more importantly, it keeps everyone else from having an aneurysm from the plain and simple stupidity that sometimes plagues our roads.

You and I have been behind the driver who is on their phone, not moving six seconds after the light has turned green. So do not be that person.

Or, possibly the thing that has given me the most befuddled looks on my face this year, parking jobs, need to be done well.

I really cannot describe the amount of annoyance that floods over me when I can barely squeeze into a spot because someone did not take three seconds to straighten out or scoot over.

It has gotten to the point where I think I may start carrying a notepad with me every time I drive, so I can leave notes on people’s cars.

You may be thinking I am just an annoyed college student, but trust me, you would hate it too.

The other thing that has really grinded my gears this year, that I think stems from people being lazy, is people attacking the media.

“Why did the media not cover this thing? They only care about the big stories.”

First of all, we are not omnipresent (get a dictionary), so we cannot cover everything that happens.

Second, if there is a big story, like the Notre Dame in Paris burning, we are going to cover it and make it breaking news because it is important.

But, in general, we do our best and do really well with covering a lot of different stories, big or small, important or casual.

I think people just choose to look at the just mistakes reporters make or the stories they do not cover and use those as ammunition for their own agenda.

We are human; we will sometimes make mistakes.

On top of that, there is a lot of great reporting being done that is uncovering government cover-ups, or cover-ups in general. On top of that, amazing feature stories are being done that tell stories of people no one would otherwise hear.

Really, I think the issue behind both of these problems that have bothered me this year boil down to one thing: Common sense.

Just have and use common sense everyone. Please.

Dillan Schorfheide is a senior journalism major. He can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]u.