Panthers get 4 top-10 finishes at Mt. Sac relays

Blake Faith, Track and Field Reporter

The Eastern track and field program had 10 of its athletes compete in the Mt. Sac Relays in Torrance, California over the weekend, finishing with four top-10 finishes.

Eastern’s Jocelyne Mendoza (11) and Grace Rowan (4) lead a pack of runners at the EIU Big Blue Classic this weekend at O’Brien Field.

Two Eastern athletes also moved up the OVC and NCAA West Region list for their finishes, and the program also competed in the Long Beach State Invite Saturday.

“We got a chance to compete against some of the best in country and it was a great opportunity,” said track and field director Brenton Emanuel. “We will only get better.”

Redshirt-freshman Dustin Hatfield finished 27th overall in the 10,000-meter race Thursday with a time of 29 minutes and 31 seconds. Hatfield was 13th among collegiate competitors in the field and his time is now the third-fastest in Eastern’s record list.

Hatfield’s time sits on top of the OVC list and is 40th in the NCAA West region.

Junior Marcus Skinner finished sixth in the Collegiate B Invite with a time of 30 minutes and 43 seconds. Skinner’s time is fourth on the OVC list.

Senior Pedra Hicks finished the women’s 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.14 seconds. In the women’s 400-meter hurdle Saturday, Hicks finished 12th with a new personal record of 1 minute and 1.7 seconds, improving her second-place mark on the OVC list.

The Panther duo of sophomore MaKenna Wilson and senior Jasmine Woodley competed in the women’s hammer throw Thursday evening.  Wilson threw a for a mark of 170 feet and 1 inch and placed eighth. Woodley finished ninth with a throw of 169 feet and three inches.

Senior Brandan Lane and sophomore Tadiwa Mhonde both competed in the 100-meter and 200-meter dash on Friday.

Lane posted a 100-meter dash time of 10.84 seconds and a 200-meter dash  time of 22.18 seconds.

Mhonde was just behind Lane’s time in the 100-meter dash with a time of 10.89 seconds, but was slightly faster in the 200-meter dash at 22.16 seconds.

Panther seniors Clayton Turner and Joe Smith competed in the field events for the Panthers. Turner finished fifth in the men’s shot put with a throw of 49 feet and 5 inches. Smith finished ninth in the triple jump with a mark of 47 feet and 5 inches.

At the Long Beach Invite, junior Nick Phillips competed in the men’s hammer throw event and had a throw of 189 feet and 1 inch.

Wilson and Woodley both competed in the women’s hammer throw at Long Beach. Wilson had a throw of 170 feet and 10 inches and Woodley had a throw of 169 feet.

Wilson also competed in the women’s javelin throw and had a toss of 132 feet and 4 inches.

Lane and Mhonde competed again in the 100-meter and 200-meter dash. Lane had a 100-meter time of 10.93 seconds and 200-meter time of 21.83 seconds. Mhonde had a 100-meter time of 10.88 seconds and 200-meter time of 21.69 seconds.

Eastern’s track and field program will compete in the Drake Relays and the University of Louisville Lenny Lyles/Clark Wood Meet this weekend.

Blake Faith can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]