First ‘Senior BBQ’ kicks off Friday

Logan Raschke, News Editor

Alumni, faculty, seniors and other Eastern students are invited to mingle and network over free hotdogs and burgers at student government’s first Senior BBQ on Friday.

Brianna Hogen, a senior health administration major and the chair of the alumni relations committee, said the Senior BBQ is a way for the Eastern community to congratulate its seniors.

In addition to the free food, students can also participate in a sending off video all about the seniors that are graduating, she said.

Michael Perri, a junior political science and pre law major and student senator, said seniors at the BBQ would be asked what their best advice is for incoming freshmen and other students.

Those who participate in the group video will also receive a free t-shirt.

Perri said student government is also bringing yard games, like bags and yard tic-tac-toe.

Hogen said all seniors that are graduating in the Fall, Spring or Summer of 2019 received an email invitation, but she emphasized that everyone is welcome and encouraged to attend.

“(Seniors) should come because this an event dedicated to them to show that EIU appreciates them and recognize their hard work—we’re thankful for them for choosing to come here,” Hogen said.

Having something like a BBQ celebration the Friday before the last week of classes of school gives students a chance to catch up and have some fun, Perri said.

Hogen said after the invitations were sent out, about a week and a half later 137 people have responded, so she believes the turnout for this first Senior BBQ will be great. She said she projects about 150-200 people to attend.

The Senior BBQ is free for everyone to attend; it will be Friday at the Campus Pond from noon until 4 p.m.

Logan Raschke can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].