Women’s golf team in 8th at OVC championships, men in 8th at Western

Oscar Rzodkiewicz, Golf Reporter

Eastern’s men’s and women’s golf teams got some run this week as the women stay in the midst of the OVC Championships and the men finish up play at the Beu Mussatto Invitational.

The Panther’s men’s team got off to a nice start after round one, sitting in fifth place out of 11 teams, but day two was not as friendly as Eastern fell to eighth overall.

After finishing last in all but one tournament for the fall season, the Panthers managed to climb out of the cellar three of the four events in the spring.

One familiar face from the Eastern men’s squad, junior Romeo Perez, came out of the gates red hot in the team’s final event before their own OVC Championships, securing first place after round one on Monday with a -6, 66-stroke round.

Unfortunately for the France-native, Perez could not keep the magic up in round two yesterday, registering an 80-stroke second 18 holes, falling to a tie for 14th place with a +2 overall finish.

Behind Perez in the standings sat senior Chuck Adare who rattled off two sub-80-stroke rounds to the tune of a +11, 155-stroke finish.

Adare finished tied for 35th.

It was a rebounding act for junior Connor Poffinbarger, though, as he opened round one with an 84-stroke first 18, but Poffinbarger followed it up with a second round 75 to move into a tie for 43rd.

Each of the last four Panthers competing for the men’s team finished with a 160-stroke total or higher.

The men’s team now gears up for the OVC Championships, due to start on Sunday and run until Tuesday.

On the women’s side, the Panthers continue to battle in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, for their own season-closing tournament, and they moved a step away from the bottom in round two yesterday.

Eastern began the tournament in ninth of nine teams after a team score of 346 after round one, but after a 335-stroke finish today, the Panthers move into the eight slot with one more round to go.

Senior Daphne Chang led the way for the Panthers, posting a two-round total of 157 strokes to sit in a tie for 26th overall.

Chang followed up a first-round 81 with a 76-stroke second 18 holes, with a birdie to top off the first nine.

Freshman Monique Peterson found her footing in the second round as well, lowering her score by 11 strokes between rounds one and two, finishing with a 173-stroke total overall.

Senior Katlyn Hasprey got off to a rough start in round two, posting 9-strokes on the first hole to begin the day five-over-par.

Hasprey limited the damage as best she could overall, clocking in a 90 strokes in round two to notch her 41st overall.

Right behind her at No. 42 was sophomore Mckenzie O’Brien who doubled-down with two 88-stroke rounds to finish at 176 through 36 holes.

The toughest stretch has been for sophomore Sara Guetersloh who hovered around the 100-stroke mark in both rounds, rounding out the team with 201 strokes.

The women’s team finishes up play for the championships on Wednesday.

Oscar Rzodkiewicz can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]