Nominations continue for Greek Week king, queen

Logan Raschke, News Editor

Eastern’s fraternities and sororities are nominating kings and queens for this year’s upcoming Greek Week.

Celine Crow, a junior human resource management major and the Panhellenic President for Greek life, said nominating the kings and queens is a collaborative process for each fraternity and sorority.

“For Greek Week, every chapter has the option to nominate someone to be their Greek Week queen for sororities and Greek Week king for fraternities,” she said. “Since there are nine sororities on campus and eight fraternities, each of them will have someone representing them for their respected chapter.”

Crow said the nomination process is usually a little different for each sorority and fraternity, but everyone comes to a clear conclusion in each group on who should represent each chapter as the king or queen.

The Greek Week kings and queens also go through an interview process organized by a committee that focuses on Greek Week-related affairs, she said. This is after they have submitted their applications, according to Eastern’s website.

The breakdown of scoring for the Greek Week king and queen coronation is as follows: 25 percent is scored on the application, 15 percent is scored on votes and 60 percent is scored on the interview, according to the Greek Week packet.

At the end of the interviews, one king and one queen will be determined and one runner-up from each category will also be selected, according to the Greek Week packet.

All the nominees have to do after that is attend coronation to see whom the winner is, Crow said.

The rest of Greek Week is packed with entertainment, collaborative competition and community service events.

Fraternity and sorority divisions compete in a lip-sync and dance performance for Airband, which will be Saturday at 7 p.m. at the McAfee Gym following Greek life’s participation in Panther Service Day at 9:30 a.m. and FSL Visit Day at 2:30 p.m.

Tugs, the fraternity and sorority divisional tug-o-war competition, spans over four days for this year’s Greek Week: Tugs is 4 p.m. on April 8, April 10, April 12 and April 13 at the Campus Pond.

Tugs is immediately following Pyramids, the event where chapters compete to form the best pyramid in the least amount of time, according to Greek Week’s events calendar. Pyramids begins at 11 a.m. at the Campus Pond on April 13.

On April 11 from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m., chapters will make fleece blankets and participate in the clothing drive in the University Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Logan Raschke can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].