Eastern track, field win big in EIU Big Blue Classic

Summer Jacobs | The Daily Eastern News Eastern’s Jocelyne Mendoza (11) and Grace Rowan (4) lead a pack of runners at the EIU Big Blue Classic this weekend at O’Brien Field.

Blake Faith, Track and Field Reporter

Eastern’s track and field program posted five individual first place finishes, set two new school records, and posted 15 top-three finishes, despite weather canceling some events this weekend at the EIU Big Blue Classic.

“With it being a shortened meet I thought we competed very well,” track and field director Brenton Emanuel said.  “For the athletes that did not get the opportunity to compete due to the weather, they are going to be even more hungry for our next meet. We will look to continue improving our marks and moving up in the OVC, the NCAA Regional rankings, and the EIU All-Time lists.”    

Sophomore Dillon Birch led a 1-2-3 finish for the Panthers in the javelin throw with a mark of 144 feet and nine inches. Senior Clayton turned would finish second with his throw of 139 inches and six inches. Senior Ashton Wilson rounded out the trio finishing third with a throw of 133 feet and six inches.

Wilson talked about prior to the meet shaking off his first outdoor meet results from Southern Illinois and came out and competed hard for his last home meet as a Panther. Along with his third place finish in the javelin throw, Wilson would finish second in the men’s long jump with a jump of 6 feet and 2.75 inches.

For the women’s throwers, senior Jasmine Woodley won the women’s hammer throw with a throw of 178 feet and six inches  which was nearly three feet farther than the record set last week by sophomore MaKenna Wilson at the SIU Bill Cornell Classic. Wilson finished second in the hammer throw at home with a throw of 168 feet and 11 inches. Wilson added another top three finish, as she placed third in women’s shot put with a throw of 42 feets and 5.25 inches.

For the women’s runners, senior Pedra Hicks would win the women’s 400-meter hurdles with a time of 59.40 seconds improving her previous school record in the event. Hicks would also be a part of a Panther 1-2 finish with her win in  the Women’s 100-meter hurdle with a time of 13.98 seconds. Graduate Kristen Dowell finished in second place with her time of 15.13 seconds.

In the women’s 1500-meter run senior Grace Rowan separated herself from the pact midway through and won the event with a time of 4 minutes and 54 seconds. In the men’s 1500-meter run freshman Jaime Marcos finished third with a time of 4 minutes and nine seconds.

In the relay events the women’s 4×100 Meter Relay team of freshman Vivica Coleman, freshman Rylei Jackson, Hicks, and Dowell finished second with a time of 51.39 seconds. The men’s 4×100 relay team of senior Brandan Lane, junior Ricky Owens, junior Anthony Bello and sophomore Tadiwa Mhonde ran unopposed with a time of 42.83 seconds.

Eastern’s track and field program will travel to Terre Haute to compete at the Indiana State Gibson Invitational on April 5.

Blake Faith can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].