Eastern softball begins conference schedule with two home doubleheaders

File Photo | The Daily Eastern News Eastern’s Kayla Bear attempts to steal a base in a game at Williams Field last season. Eastern begins conference play this weekend against Murray State and Austin Peay at Williams Field.

JJ Bullock, Sports Editor

The Eastern softball team’s 9-19 non-conference was not all the Panthers hoped it would be, but their non-conference schedule and the struggles that came with it are in their rearview mirror now as Eastern will begin conference play this weekend at home.

Eastern hosts a double-header Saturday against Murray State and another two-game set against Austin Peay on Sunday.

Murray State will provide Eastern a good look at just exactly how much non-conference records matter come conference time as the Racers find themselves in a very similar situation to Eastern at the open of conference play.

Murray State is 10-15 headed into its OVC schedule and, like Eastern, have had struggles pitching and hitting. In fact, the two teams look eerily familiar in both record and on the stat sheet to this point in the season.

Eastern’s pitching staff is rankedninth in the OVC with a 4.19 ERA, Murray State is 10th with a 4.32 ERA. Eastern’s pitching staff has surrendered 141 runs this season, the third most in the conference. Murray State is just ahead of them at 147 runs allowed.

Murray State is eighth in the conference with a .266 batting average, Eastern is 10th with a .246 average. Murray State has scored 115 runs this season, Eastern has scored 112.

When the two teams meet on Saturday, just how deep the similarities actually run will be on display.

Eastern head coach Kim Schuette, however, believes that the similiarties on paper between the two teams may not tell the entire story of each school’s non-conference play.

Austin Peay ranks near the top of the conference in most pitching and batting categories and also finished non-conference play with a 15-13 record.

Austin Peay figures to give Eastern a look at how they can compete against the conference’s upper-echelon of teams. The Governors were tabbed to finish third in the preseason poll and received three first-place votes.

They offer a stark difference than Murray State, who was picked to finish ninth in the conference.

Eastern will likely see reigning OVC pitcher of the year in Morgan Rackel when Austin Peay visits on Sunday. Rackel has been dominating so far this season, as she was last year; she has pitched to a 2.45 ERA and is blowing away the rest of the pitchers in the OVC with a conference high 114 strikeouts.

To beat Rackel on Sunday, Schuette said her players are going to need to be ready to swing early in the count and just focus on making solid contact.

“You don’t want her to get ahead of you, so you are digging yourself out of a hole,” Schuette said. “You are looking to put the ball in play and make contact early in the count. You’re not going to be swinging for the fences. She is going to supply the power you’ll need.”

Danielle Rierman, last year’s OVC freshman of the year, is also back and continuing to play well for Austin Peay. She has a .362 batting average and has a conference high 11 home runs.

Jade Montgomery and Hannah Cravens will start for Eastern on the mound.

Eastern plays Murray State at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. on Saturday and Austin Peay at 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. on Sunday.

JJ Bullock can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].