Money problems of the typical college student

Karena Ozier, Columnist

A shirt that I had said “The best things in life are free.” To me, “free” can mean one of two things: Something can be free in regard to no payment needed for something typically paid for, and free from burdens.

Someone can get an item for free and also be free of financial problems. I can get things for free, when I am lucky, but rarely do I fit the second part of the definition. I am a college student. Being free and going to college do not go together.

It is typical to hear a college student complain about how they are broke. It doesn’t have to be this way.

I used to be very good about saving money. I would only spend money when I absolutely had to. Recently, nearly everything has been something that I have had to buy—from shirts to food, these things are essential items.

However, I already have shirts and food. I have dining dollars and meal swipes that I could use instead of delicious Walmart deli or Starbucks. Completely letting those things go isn’t necessary, but cutting back makes a huge difference.

I don’t have to buy every T-shirt offer that comes my way either. But I do. Because to me, T-shirts are a way to commemorate something that happened or to represent something that you are a part of. I will still buy shirts, but I will make sure I have the money before I commit to purchasing one.

Learning how to financially support yourself is a part of the adulting process. It is difficult to figure out the balance of finances. After budgeting, it can make money situations less terrifying.

There are many others way to save money. The moral of any of the ideas is that you shouldn’t spend money unless you absolutely have to. A secondary aspect is to not spend more money than you have to when you have to. There are cheaper options than what is often the first item you grab.

Other stores in your area could have cheaper options of the same item you are wanting to get. Easy and quick isn’t always cheap. Be aware of your purchases and how often you find yourself spending money.

There are plenty of resourced on campus for your financial needs. Take advantage of those opportunities and start thinking about the financial situation you want to be in and aim for that as a goal.

Karena Ozier is a freshman elementary education major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].