‘Seasonal Depression’ is no joke, take it seriously

Staff Editorial

During this time of year, many people throughout the world suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder, also known as “seasonal depression.”

The cause of this usually stems from the gloomy weather that we endure throughout the winter months, which leads to fatigue, boredom and sadness.

We at The Daily Eastern News are very much aware of the fact that students at Eastern are more than likely to suffer from this, and we encourage anyone who is battling Seasonal Affective Disorder to reach out to someone for help.

Depression is no joke. It can be so crippling that many people suffer from it not just during winter, but throughout the entire year.

We feel that mental health is one of the most important things a person should focus on throughout their life. We should not let anything like depression or Seasonal Affective Disorder get the best of us because believe it or not, there is help for everyone.

Some people find that the disorder is caused by the gloomy weather, which leads them to be inside the majority of the time, which then leads to cabin fever.

We are fortunate that there are many options available to help rid ourselves of this crippling battle, whether it be exercise, using a sun lamp to provide our body with some Vitamin C or simple conversations with friends, family or even a counselor.

Just remember that you are not alone throughout these dark, gloomy months. We all have days where we may experience Seasonal Affective Disorder, but we can do our best to make sure we do not have to suffer from it very much longer.

We feel that as a student publication, it is one of our duties to provide students with hope that they can get better and that we sympathize with what they may be dealing with. We hope that if you are someone out there who is suffering, you will get the help you need and get back to normal.

Have no fear; spring is near, and we will all feel much happier when it is here.

The Editorial staff can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].