Wind Chill Warning issued until Thursday

Corryn Brock, Associate News Editor

The National Weather Service has issued a Wind Chill Warning beginning 9 p.m. Tuesday until noon on Thursday.

Portions of central, east central and west central Illinois are expected to be impacted with 30-40 degrees below wind chills.

The warning issued by the National Weather Service describes the weather as “dangerously cold wind chills.”

Frostbite and hypothermia are possible if proper precautions are not taken, with frostbite being likely for uncovered skin within 10 minutes of exposure.

Frostbite is “bodily injury caused by freezing that results in loss of feeling and color in affected areas,” according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

The first signs of frostbite are redness or pain of exposed areas of skin.

White or grayish-yellow skin area, firm or waxy skin and numbness of skin are signs of frostbite.

Warning signs for hypothermia for adults are shivering, exhaustion, confusion, fumbling hands, memory loss and slurred speech. Infants may experience bright red, cold skin and very low energy.

Those who go out during the warning should make sure to cover areas of the head because that is where the body loses the most heat, according to Everett Lau, WEIU Newswatch’s local forecaster.

Lau said he is expecting local schools, including Eastern, to close due to the possibility of frostbite.

“I wouldn’t be surprised (if classes were canceled); a lot of people walk to their classes,” Lau said. “A lot of people have walks to their classes upwards of 20 minutes.”

Provost Jay Gatrell, via email, said students should anticipate classes on Wednesday.

“If anything changes, we will communicate it to the campus community,” Gatrell said. “Having said that, staff, faculty and students should use their best judgment relative to the conditions.”

Lau said people should try to minimize time outside and wear layers of clothing to protect themselves from the temperatures.

Corryn Brock can be reached at  581-2812 or at [email protected].