Bundle up for winter, keep your toes

Logan Raschke, News Editor

Bundle up for winter if you want to keep your toes.

My brother just turned 31 on Jan. 19 this year.

Understandably, my brother, being over 21 years of age, decided to go out drinking with some friends to celebrate the special occasion.

After several hours at the bar, his friends decided to leave and my brother chose to walk home.

The walk home wasn’t too far from the bar, but my brother forgot to take something direly important—something you never want to forget before trekking in below-freezing temperatures—a scarf and a pair of gloves.

In fact, he never brought these important items with him to the bar in the first place.

Consequently, my brother’s hands and feet were frostbitten by the time he got home.

To summarize a series of visits to the doctor and abhorrent reprimands, courtesy of our family, doctors had to remove dead flesh from underneath his feet so that he could recover.

On one hand, I’m beyond thankful this situation did not have a more devastating conclusion.

Hypothetically, doctors may have had to amputate his toes, fingers or worse, his feet or hands, if he was out in the bitter cold without proper attire for much longer.

On the other hand, I kind of want to ring my brother’s neck in frustration and anger (lovingly, might I add) because he’s 31-years-old and should know better.

My brother’s situation reminded me that adults make horrible mistakes during winter, and it made me think of students at Eastern.

If my brother, a man who has about 10 years on most of us college students at Eastern, can make such a dangerous mistake like that, there’s no doubt a college student here could do the same.

Now, I am urging anyone and everyone, regardless of age, to bundle up for the winter.

According to the Mayo Clinic, frostbite is most common in exposed parts of the skin during cold temperatures, such as the nose, fingers, toes, ears, cheeks and chin.

In order to combat getting frostbitten in any of these vulnerable areas, the Mayo Clinic recommends everyone to dress up in multiple layers before they travel anywhere outside, keeping these frostbite-prone spots on the body covered.

To keep feet and toes safe, people should “wear socks and sock liners that fit well, wick moisture and provide insulation,” and foot warmers are also a good choice, as long as they aren’t so tight they cut off circulation, according to the Mayo Clinic.

Also, pay attention to weather forecasts.

I understand the average college student doesn’t check the forecast on their phone the minute they get up for the day, but at some point, make sure to check how cold it will be outside for the day, especially if you plan on going out sometime.

I know that I already covered this previously when I mentioned dressing in layers, but please wear a damn coat.

Don’t try to wing an entire day wearing just a jacket or sweater.

Even in below-freezing temperatures, I still see people neglecting to wear coats in the winter.

For the love of God, just bundle up this winter.

Don’t end up like my brother. Believe me, you probably want to keep the flesh on the bottom of your feet.

Logan Raschke is a junior journalism major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].