Students can create new logo for Taylor Dining Center allergy station

Tom O’Connor, Staff Reporter

One hundred dining dollars will be rewarded to the student who can render the logo and name that best represents the allergy station in Taylor Dining Center, with Housing and Dining Services expected to launch the naming contest this coming Monday.

Housing and Dining Services felt students, rather than members of its leadership committee, could more appropriately address this decision.

“We were always big on getting the student’s perspective on this,” said Mark Hudson, the director of Housing and Dining Services.

“Our hope is that we want some kind of (food) line that makes sense to them.”

Students have from Jan. 21 through March 8 to finalize their designs and, if they win, will receive a notification of the outcome via email.

To elect the winner, judges, consisting of dining center staff, have been assigned to critique any artwork and name proposals before the announcement of winner on March 22.

Judges on the panel will eschew logos they perceive as too abstract, given Panther Dining’s appeal for easily identifiable illustrations.

The station, which serves dining options void of the top eight allergens, is in need of a logo and name embodying all of the dietary concerns that it attends to, not simply one or two.

Hudson would like a design that captures the allergies of the eight foods: soya, gluten, dairy, egg, shellfish, fish, peanuts and tree nuts.

Although participants are encouraged to submit their own, original artwork, competition guidelines stipulate that the Housing and Dining Services reserves the right to modify the designs if necessary.

“This one is a little unique in terms of its focus,” Hudson said. “We want people to understand that this is an allergy (free) station. You know, we do everything we can to keep those top eight out of the mix.”

Tom O’Connor can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].