School closed, special hours in effect Monday for MLK Jr. Day

Logan Raschke, News Editor

A number of facilities at Eastern will either be closed or have special hours on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, which is Monday.

Mark Hudson, director of housing and dining services, said dining centers are going to be consolidated to Thomas Hall on Monday, and they will have regular hours; however, late night pizza will be unavailable on Sunday.

The University Food Court in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union will be open from 11 a.m. until 10 p.m. on Monday.

Along with the University Food Court, the Bowling Lanes will also remain open from 12 p.m. until 10 p.m.

Additionally, all dining centers will have regular hours through the weekend leading up to MLK Jr. Day, he said.

Cathy Engelkes, deputy director of the Union, said the University Bookstore, the Panther Print and Copy Center, Ticket Office, US Bank, Panther Pantry and Java Beanery and Brewery are all closed on Monday.

The Panther Pantry is usually open on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., but it will be closed all weekend through MLK Jr. Day.

Offices located in the Union are open during regular hours on Friday, but are closed on Monday.

For students who would like something to do on-campus during MLK Jr. Day, Engelkes said there are still amenities on-campus to take advantage of and activities to participate in.

Seeing as the Bowling Lanes actually have extended hours through the weekend and MLK Jr. Day, Engelkes said she would recommend students to go bowling at the Union on their day off, if they have no other plans.

In addition to bowling, she said Eastern hosts a candlelight vigil every year in honor of MLK Jr. and his legacy, and she would recommend students to attend that this year as well.

The Candlelight Vigil and March is at 5:30 p.m. at Thomas Hall, and the program celebration begins at 6 p.m. in the Grand Ballroom of the Union.

Logan Raschke can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].