CAA approves minor

Corryn Brock, Associate News Editor

The Council on Academic Affairs voted to approve a new minor, and revisions for two minors, two courses and a program.

Melanie Burns, Interim Director of Nutrition & Dietetics, spoke to the council on the proposal of a new minor.

“There’s no new courses and there’s plenty of seats (available in classes), unfortunately,” Burns said. “It would be a way to improve enrollment in classes with really no extra cost at this point in time.”

The proposal was approved with a unanimous vote.

Linda Simpson, chair of the Family and Consumer Sciences department, proposed changes to the Financial Literacy minor.

According to the website for the financial literacy concentration, financial literacy “prepares students to meet the need for consumer studies professional to represent, advocate, educate and empower consumers’ decision, information, rights and responsibilities.”

Simpson said the changes were a reflection of the new College of Health and Human Services. She also spoke on the rationale behind the classes chosen to be a part of the minor.

“I’m going along with the three basic needs,” Simpson said. “That’s why housing is included, why nutrition is included, because those expenses have a major impact on your needs.”

All but two members voted in favor of the proposal.  CAA members Misty Rhoads and Rebecca Throneburg chose to abstain from casting a vote on the proposal.

Other proposals approved included revisions to the BS in Digital Media program, Media Technology minor, and HSL 3831: Women in Contemporary Society and CTE 3403: Methods of Teaching Middle and Secondary Level Family and Consumer Sciences courses.

One item was added to the agenda for next week for the revision of CAA bylaws.

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].