Be aware of those around you; help out during winter months

Analicia Haynes, Editor-in-Chief

Winter is just awful, and that’s a gross understatement.

There really is no other way to describe it. When it’s cold, it’s brutal and every bit of you that is exposed, be it your fingers or your nose, is susceptible to feeling like it’s going to fall off.

It’s cold. You get the picture.

That’s why when I was walking to and from class today in a stupor, I noticed several individuals roaming campus, going to their own respected classes and wearing inadequate winter clothes.

One person in particular sported a short sleeve shirt, pair of shorts and flimsy flip-flops.

That’s dangerous, walking around in short sleeves and sweatshirts when the wind chill is in the single digits and it’s cold enough to expect snow.

Oh, and I know most of us, myself included, would think, ‘wow, what an idiot,’ or ‘what are they trying to prove?’ And sure, there is a possibility that these students are just making a statement or whatever it is these students are doing nowadays.

However, this time, I didn’t do that. This time, I wondered if these students really didn’t have proper clothing to wear during the winter months. I wondered if that man in his flip-flops, walking like he wasn’t cold, needed a jacket.

I know this isn’t exactly a fashion column, but I’m getting there.

See, we have the luxury of talking about winter fashion and the latest and cutest trends, knowing that at any moment we can go buy those trends.

We have the opportunity to be able to afford something like a jacket, which should be available for everyone.

The fashion world is open for anybody who wants to express themselves by donning what makes them smile, but is it open to those who can’t afford the basics like gloves or a scarf? Or does it turn its back?

That’s why I’m calling on you and myself to make an effort to remember the quiet ones who are too proud or embarrassed to admit that they’re shivering.

As editor-in-chief of The Daily Eastern News, I will make sure to look for any resources that might be available to those who need winter clothing basics, and I will share that information.

If you want to help, donate your clothes or let me know if there is a place available for those who need clothes and shoes.

Just because we are lucky enough to afford a coat doesn’t make us entitled, and it also doesn’t mean we can’t help a little.

Analicia Haynes can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].