Christmas decorating can be shocking

Karena Ozier , Columnist

It is the holiday season, which means lights and decorations are everywhere, including in dorm rooms. My roommate and I have had Christmas decorations up since before we left for Thanksgiving break and added even more after we came back.

I love the holiday spirit that a lot of people get into this time of year. One way for people to express their holiday cheer is through decorations. 

I used the same lights for my room this year that I have for many years in the past. Unfortunately, they quit working a few days ago when I went to plug them in, so I figured it was time to get some new ones. 

I went to the store and got some new ones, and I brought them back to my room to plug them in. The room was dark without my lights on, so I tried to guide the plug into the outlet.  

After struggling for a few seconds, I started to push the lights into the outlet when I felt a strong tingling sensation in my hand which then quickly traveled into my arm. I finished pushing the lights into the outlet. When I pulled away, I felt a zap. 

I had just shocked myself.  

After getting over the fact that I had shocked myself, I looked back at my new lights. After staring at them for a few seconds I started to feel sick.  

The lights appeared to pulsate in a way. I wasn’t sure if it was just my eyes that were seeing it but when I asked my roommate, she said they were bothering her too.   

We took a trip back to the store, and I exchanged the new lights for even newer lights. When we got back, I turned on the main light in our room so I could see what I was doing. I carefully plugged them in. These lights are much better.

As random as my shocking situation may sound, please be careful this holiday season. Decorations can be beautiful but also dangerous. Whether you are simply plugging new lights in, decorating something at a height or anything in between, just know that things can go wrong. 

I am completely fine from being shocked, but there are even worse scenarios that other people have gotten into from decorating. 

I should have turned on another light so I could see what I was doing, but I got too caught up in getting my side of the room to light up. I learned my lesson.  

 Karena Ozier is a freshman elementary education major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or at

[email protected]