Panthers come up big at House of Champs meet

Dillan Schorfheide

Eastern senior Caro Lamarque swims in a meet on Oct. 19 in the Padovan Pool against Saint Louis. Eastern lost 170-92 and is 0-4 this season.

Eric Hendrix, Swim Reporter

The Panther swimmers traveled to Indianapolis, Indiana on Nov. 16 for a weekend-long meet. The men’s and women’s teams combined together for 15 top-25 finishes. The women’s team accounted for five of those finishes.

Senior swimmer Martee Grainger competed in the 50-yard freestyle, 100-yard freestyle, 100-yard backstroke and multiple relays for the House of Champs weekend. She spoke about the team’s performance during the meet.

“It was really good. We had a lot of good swims and it was a bigger meet, so we had a lot of tough competition, and we performed pretty well,” Granger said. “We had some broken records on both teams and it set us up really nice for the end of year meet.”

She went on to mention some differences in the format of this meet in comparison to others, like the length of the meet and way the team prepared for it.

“We usually don’t taper for this meet, which is when we rest, so we swim faster, and we did for this one for the first time since I’ve been here, and there were good results,” Grainger said.

Grainger went on to mention being excited for the all relay meet at Indiana State this upcoming weekend. She expressed her confidence in the Panther relay teams.

“We have a lot of talent in multiple events so it will be fun to do,” Grainger said.

Sophomore swimmer Scott House competed in the 50-yard freestyle, 100-yard freestyle, 100-yard backstroke and four relays at the House of Champs. He spoke about both his and team’s success.

“Personally, I had a top eight finish, which was one of my goals, and I met it, so I was happy with that,” House said. “On a team level, the first day of the meet was Friday, and we almost scored as many points Friday as we did the whole entire meet last year, so we definitely showed improvement and a future of improvement too.”

House spoke more about the growth of the team over the last year.

“I was excited how many points we scored as compared to last year,” House said. “I thought we showed a level of experience that you wouldn’t expect from a team that’s so young.”

Eric Hendrix can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]